/ / The Abbey of San Fonte blanda: photos, description Abbazia di San rabano is)

The Abbey of San Fonte blanda: photos, description Abbazia di San rabano is)

The Abbey of San Fonte blanda is located in the natural Park of Maremma between vertices Podge Lecce and Poggio Alto. At the beginning of the 11th century, when it was built, it was called the monastery of Alberese or de Arboreto. The origin of this name is still uncertain. Perhaps it comes from the word "arbor", "Albero" means "tree" or the word "Albanian" - the white stone of the mountains of Uccellina. The modern name of the Abbey - San Fonte blanda is probably derived from the name of the Holy Rafani of Preceptor, which was the last Abbot, according to the documents of the 18th century. He was the initiator of the construction of the Church of San Fonte blanda in the town of Alberese.

The construction of the Abbey began in 1587, the year in place of the religious complex, built in the early 11th century by Benedictine monks. Near the Abbey held the king's Road - Strada della Regina, which connected the ancient Roman tract of the via Aurelia to the sea. The surrounding area has undergone significant changes and has even been deforested in order to grow olive trees and grapes. Also, this place was founded by a small village, from which up to the present day survived only the ruins.

In the 12th century Benedictine monastery reached its heyday, and even received from Pope innocent II control over all the monasteries on the border of Lazio. Later started the period of decline of the Benedictine order, which has led to the fact that many Benedictine monasteries were abandoned. Not escaped this fate and San Fonte blanda. In 1303, the year Pope Boniface VIII ordered the knights of Jerusalem of the order to secure the area and manage the land and the monastery in Alberese. In documents of that time still refers to the monastery, however, in 1336, the year the first time the word "Fort". Probably at that time was erected the extant fortification - stone walls with loopholes. In the 14th century the power over this Fort became a bone of contention between Siena and Florence, and in 1438, the year of Siena, becoming the full owner of the entire territory of the current province of Grosseto, the monastery was destroyed.

The current Abbey of San Fonte blanda, built on the site of the demolished religious complex consists of a Church with a monastery and the observation tower the Tyrrhenian sea. Part of the Abbey was built from the material that remained from the old monastery, and its very building probably stands on the old Foundation. The Church stands on a cruciform base with cross beams. Special attention deserves the partially collapsed roof of the Central nave: it is made of stone and supported by large slabs which rest directly on the walls of the nave. On the arch of the portal and window of the apse of the original engraving, an exact Dating has not been established: some scholars date them to the late medieval period. Facing the East part of the Church consists of a Central apse and two lateral, smaller in size. Ledge of the bell tower undoubtedly refers to the Romano-Lombard period.

The Abbey of San Fonte blanda, unfortunately, today is in poor condition, and only recent archaeological excavations have allowed scientists to understand how looked the entire complex in the past. Today you can see the ruins of a Central courtyard with a cistern, a large and a small access road and the fire tower near the Tyrrhenian sea.