/ / The Abbey of são fruttuoso di Capodimonte: photos, description Abbazia di San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte)

The Abbey of são fruttuoso di Capodimonte: photos, description Abbazia di San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte)

The Abbey of são fruttuoso di Capodimonte is located in the town of Capodimonte on the rugged coast of the Monte di Portofino. This small architectural gem has a long history, and the historical value of the Abbey is supplemented by the natural beauty.

The origin of the são fruttuoso Abbey is still surrounded by myths and legends. According to one version, it was built in the 8th century, when Prospero, Bishop of Tarragona, fleeing from Arab pirates, fled from Spain and took refuge in a small Bay on the Ligurian coast, where he built the Church to preserve the relics of great Martyr Fruttuoso. The cult of St. soon spread throughout Liguria and has reached such proportions that it was recognized as the patron Saint of sailors.

Most of the current Abbey dates from the 10th-11th centuries, when it was rebuilt by the Empress Adelaide of Burgundy, widow of Otto I. In particular, the Byzantine dome of the 10th century Church built over an inexhaustible source, became part of the octagonal tower.

From the 13th century, the history of são fruttuoso is closely intertwined with the history of the family Doria, at the behest of which was a renovated old Church, and was the beginning of the construction of the religious complex with its arched loggia and two rows of arched Windows. In gratitude the monks gave to the Doria family crypt next to the lower cloister, which was turned into ancestral mausoleum is here and today you can see the tombstones of white marble 1275-1305-second period.

In 1467, the year after the death of the Abbot-the Abbot of the Benedictine monks left the monastery that was the beginning of the period of decline of the Abbey. In the next century, numerous renovations have altered the external and internal appearance of the Church, which lost its Gothic arched Windows. The convent was adapted as housing for farmers. Moreover, over the old cloister was built new.

In 1915, the year of the floods part of the Church collapsed, and deposits a swollen river right in front of the Abbey formed the beach. In 1933, the year began restoration work, the task of which was to eliminate the consequences of floods and restore the original structure of the complex. Thus began a new period of prosperity são fruttuoso. Another restoration took place in 1985-89-m years - then the cloister, the Abbey, the tombs of the Doria family and the Chapter house was returned to its original appearance.

In the ancient Romanesque cloister on the ground floor of the Abbey can be reached from the garden. The shape of its round arches with double archivolt follows the shape of the arches on the facade. The upper cloister was built in the 12th century and almost entirely rebuilt in the 16th century by the will of Admiral Andrea Doria. One of his columns dated to the 2nd century A. D. the rest is a typical romance.

Recent restoration work on two floors of the Abbey of the 13th century restored the original Romanesque structure. In this part of the religious complex is now a Museum where historical documents are stored, Cutlery and pots used by monks in the 13th-15th centuries. Pottery has a different origin - the Ligurian, southern Italian, and even Islamic, and was discovered in the vault.

You should pay attention to the Torre Doria, built in 1562, the year the heirs of the Admiral Andrea Doria - Giovanni Andrea and Pagano. It leads to the stairs in the side of the road. On both facades of the tower, facing the sea, you can see the coat of arms of the family of Doria - the double-headed eagle.

With são fruttuoso Abbey are two old legends. One of them, a young priest, Giustino, who accompanied St. Prospero in his escape from Spain was the angel (or the Holy Fruttuoso). The angel said that will lead him to the place, protected by a great mountain, where the cave lives a dragon. He also said Giustino should not be afraid of monsters, because the relics of the great Martyr will protect him. The same, in the words of the angel, Giustino and Prospero finds a source, who should build the Church. This "legend of the dragon" is extremely common among local fishermen.

Another legend tells of separated lovers. According to her, the night of St. John (June 24) the souls of all lovers, who will of destiny has been separated from each other, meet at Monte di Portofino on the intersection of four roads. This night is the only time you can collect magic oil "oak bark".

And at the bottom of the Bay, on the shore of which stands the Abbey, at a depth of 17 metres in 1954, the year was a statue of the Christ of the Abyss, today, attracts hundreds of divers.