/ / The Abbey of San Benedetto in Polirone: photos, description Abbazia di San Benedetto in Polirone)

The Abbey of San Benedetto in Polirone: photos, description Abbazia di San Benedetto in Polirone)

The Abbey of San Benedetto in Polirone - big religious complex of the Benedictine monks, including a Church and cloisters, located in the town of San Benedetto Po in the province of Milan, Lombardy. The complex, now under the jurisdiction of the municipality, open to the public, it houses various offices and a Museum.

The Abbey was founded in 1007, the year Tebaldo, count of Canossa, the paternal grandfather of Matilda of Canossa, Countess of Tuscany. Tebald handed over to the Benedictine order half of their possessions between the Po and the Liron - hence the name of Polirone. Margrave of Tuscany, Boniface III also did much for the development of the Abbey, and ordered to build a Church to preserve the relics of St. Simeon from Polirone. In 1077, the year the community became subordinate to the Abbey of Cluny.

From 1115 till 1632-th years in the Church of the Abbey can be seen the arch, supported by eight columns, in which were stored the remains of Matilda of Canossa, who chose Polirone the place of his burial. For centuries she was particularly revered by the locals and was considered the patron Saint of the city. In 1632, the year her remains were transferred to St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

At the time Abbey Polirone was one of the richest in Northern Italy. In the 15th century on the initiative of the Abbot Guido Gonzaga the Church was rebuilt in late Gothic style, but a century later its appearance was altered by the architect Giulio Romano in the Renaissance style. Only some elements of the mosaic floor and part of the sculpture preserved its original features. The walls and vaults of the Church was painted with frescoes by Antonio da Correggio and Antonio Begarelli. The latter also created the sculpture 31. And Paolo Veronese in 1562, the year he wrote three altarpiece.

To our days there were three cloisters, a detached large building of the refectory, the infirmary of the 16th century and the Church. Since 2007, the year on the territory of the former Abbey, tours of the three thematic routes - "Land and bread", "Grass and monks" and "Prayer and reading".