/ / The Abbey of San Pietro: photo, description Abbazia di San Pietro)

The Abbey of San Pietro: photo, description Abbazia di San Pietro)

The Abbey of San Pietro Benedictine Abbey in Modena. The monastery itself was founded in the 10th century, and already in the 12th century it gained independence. After a period of decline, in 1434, the year was merged with the Congregation of St. Justina, and later with the community of Kashintsev. The monastery was famous for its monks who shone in science and have held important government posts - two of them became cardinals. After the French revolution (1796-th year) the Abbey was abolished, then reinstated on the orders of the Duke of Modena, and again closed on the initiative of the rulers of Savoy (in 1866). In both cases, one monk remained at the Abbey as a parish priest. In General, except for a short period (1926-1938 th.) the Benedictine monks lived in the monastery.

The present monastery Church dates from the late 15th century - it was consecrated in 1518, the year. To the same period belongs the wonderful cloister in the Renaissance style. The facade of the Church with terracotta decorations - the work of architect and sculptors Barabani brothers Buffalo. Deserves attention and the old belfry. Inside the Church are stored terracotta sculptures and paintings of various artists. Fine wooden altar - piece Test. In addition to the beautiful stucco decorations on all the altars, the Church has amazingly beautiful on the 16-th century. And the sacristy is decorated with frescoes by Vignola Yes.

It is known that, starting from the 10th century, the Abbey had its own pharmacy, which initially manufactured the medicine to the monastic infirmary. In the 16th century, after the restructuring of the monastic complex, the pharmacy was relocated closer to the main entrance. Since then and until the second half of the 18th century monastery pharmacy was perhaps one of the most important medical and pharmaceutical institutions of Modena, and, perhaps, of the whole Duchy. Medicines were made from spices and herbs grown here in the garden. In addition, the monks were preparing the famous "Theriac" - a tincture made from the macerated flesh of the Viper, not pregnant and caught on Eugenysa the hills a few weeks after the exit of hibernation. For the production of this drug, which helped to cure a whole list of diseases, the Abbey had exclusive permission from the Ducal house. From 1796 to 2007-th years the pharmacy was closed. And after its opening, already in the 21st century was to sell products from Italian and European Benedictine monasteries.