/ / The Abbey of Santa Maria di Roverano: photos, description Abbazia di Santa Maria di Rovegnano)

The Abbey of Santa Maria di Roverano: photos, description Abbazia di Santa Maria di Rovegnano)

The Abbey of Santa Maria di Roverano - Cistercian monastery complex in Milan. The area surrounding the Abbey was once an independent commune called Chiaravalle Milanese. Now he is part of Milan, called area of chiaravalle.

The Abbey was founded in 1135 and became one of the first examples of Gothic architecture in Italy, although there are visible some traces of the late Romanesque style. Originally the Abbey was a few temporary buildings and the construction of a permanent Church began only in the mid-12th century. Work continued and in the 13th century, when South of the Church was built the first cloister and in the 14th, when the crypt of the Church was crowned with a tower and a refectory was built. In 1412, near the South transept was erected a small chapel, now used as a vestry. In 1490 cardinal Ascanio Sforza, commissioned the architects Bramante and Giovanni Antonio Amadeo to build a large cloister Chiostro Grande and the Chapter house.

In the Renaissance, many artists and creators that worked on the decoration of the Abbey, in particular, this period includes works by Bernardo Luini. In the 17th century over-painted the walls of the Church worked the brothers Giovanni Battista and Giovanni Mauro della Rovere — their frescoes have survived to the present day.

When in 1798 he created the Cisalpine Republic, Napoleon, the monastery was partially destroyed. Preserved the Church, part of a small cloister, a refectory and several other buildings. And in 1861 was destroyed and the cloister of Bramante is needed for the construction of the railway Milan - Pavia - Genoa.

Until 1894, the year the Abbey of Santa Maria di Roverano remained private property, and only in 1952 it was returned to the Cistercian order. In 1970-72 the restored frescoes of the dome, the rest of the restoration work lasted since 2004.

The facade of the Church, unfortunately, has not preserved its original appearance is the restoration of the early 20th century. But if you look closely, you can detect the architecture of the 17th century, which replaced the original, 13th-century. Deserves attention the main entrance, Dating from the early 16th century. Inside is to explore the rich Baroque frescoes that, in General, uncharacteristic of Cistercian architecture.