/ / Abbey of Sant'antonio di Ranverso: photos, description Abbazia di Sant'antonio di Ranverso)

Abbey of Sant'antonio di Ranverso: photos, description Abbazia di Sant'antonio di Ranverso)

Abbey of Sant'antonio di Ranverso is a religious complex located in the town of Buttigliera Alta in the territory of the Italian ski resort of Val di Susa. Abbey, also known as the Congregation of the Hospitallers, was founded in 1188, the year on the orders of Umberto III of Savoy and served as a place of rest for pilgrims and a hospital for people affected by the so-called "antonianum by fire" - a food toxicosis ergot alkaloids. Well, when in the second half of the 14th century the outbreak of the great plague, the Abbey took over the care and new suffering. Interestingly, Saint Anthony was chosen as the patron of the monastery is not accidental - it is usually portrayed in company with a small pig, and pork fat in those years was widely used to treat plague and prevent the spread of the epidemic. In 1776, the year Pope Pius VI was transferred to Sant'antonio di Ranverso the Order of the Saints Mauritius and Lazarus, which it remains to this day.

Over its long history, the complex was rebuilt several times and changed. Initially it consisted of a hospital, which to the present day preserved only the facade, the actual monastery and Church. After the last reconstruction of the 14th to 15th centuries acquired its present Lombardo-Gothic style. Near the Church stands the bell tower, built in the 14th century in the Gothic style. The interior is decorated with numerous frescos, some of which are written in the early 15th century Giacomo Acerina. His brush belongs to "the Ascent to Calvary in the sacristy is a masterpiece of the artist. And the presbytery is decorated with a polyptych Defendente Ferrari. The ceiling of the Church is covered with groin vault, painted with scenes from the old and New Testaments. In one of the crosshairs shows the image of a circle with stars on red and black background is the symbol of Creation. Another depicts an angel brought the virgin Mary the good news. Two crosshairs is decorated with a star on a dark background and a star on a light background, symbolizing, respectively, the death and resurrection of Christ. These drawings were made during construction of the Church, but the sun in the apse was written much later, probably in the 17th century.