/ / Abbey Torba: photo description (Monastero di Torba)

Abbey Torba: photo description (Monastero di Torba)

Sack the Abbey, a former Benedictine monastery in Torba, the area Garate Olona Italian region Lombardy, located on the territory of archaeological Park Castelseprio. The latter, in turn, is part of the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site places of power of the Lombards in Italy (568-774).", which includes seven seats in the Lombardy region of particular importance from the point of view of architecture, sculpture or painting.

The first buildings of the complex, Castelseprio, part of which is a sack, Dating back to the era of Ancient Rome 5th century BC Then it housed one of the military outposts of the Empire, built to protect against incursions of barbarians from the Alps. In addition, the area along the Olona river was of strategic importance to the Romans due to their water resources, and communications with the Alpine settlements. That is why there was built a fortress, which later became Castelseprio. One of its separate parts was a monitoring station and tower on the place where today stands the sack.

For several centuries the fortress was used by the Goths, Byzantines and Lombards. Over time, some of the buildings in Torba lost its military purpose, acquiring instead a religious, due to the fact that in the 8th century there settled a group of Benedictine monks. They built a monastery, placing in it the cells, the refectory and the chapel, and also erected a covered arched gallery, welcoming travelers and pilgrims. In the 11th century was built a small Church of the virgin Mary.

In the 13th century, these places were the scene of fierce battles between influential Milanese families, in particular the Della Torre and Visconti. The latter in 1287, the year ordered to demolish the fortress of Castelseprio, retaining only the religious buildings. Part of the Sacks and became the surviving Roman tower.

From the 15th to the 18th century lasted so-called agricultural period in the history of the Abbey, when the sack was an important center of agriculture. And in 1799, during the reign of Napoleon, the monastic order has been abolished, and all religious buildings of the Sacks were used with a purely utilitarian purpose. Covered arched gallery was bricked up, entrance into the Church expanded, so that it can be used as a warehouse, and ancient frescoes, and all plastered. Until 1971, the year the entire complex is many times passed from hand to hand, changing owners until it was finally abandoned. Only in 1977, the year it was purchased by Giulia Maria Crespi Mozzoni, which later transferred the complex to the National Fund for the protection of historical sites in Italy. In 1986, the year long restoration of the Abbey was completed, and it was open to the public.

In the course of the restoration was re-opened arched galleries, which today is a recreation area, restored the Roman walls, prominent in the former refectory, a huge old fireplace there. Preserved observation tower on the banks of the river Olona is one of the few surviving buildings of Ancient Rome in Northern Italy, which survived until our days. The Church, built from the 8th to 13th century, is remarkable for the inverted arches of porous brick, popular in the Lombard architecture of the Renaissance.