/ / The Abbey of Fontevivo: photo, description Abbazia di Fontevivo)

The Abbey of Fontevivo: photo, description Abbazia di Fontevivo)

Fontevivo Abbey is a former monastery of the Cistercian order in Fontevivo in the province of Parma (Italian Emilia-Romagna region). Located about 15 km West of Parma towards Fidenza.

In may 1142, the year the colony of 12 monks of the Cistercian Abbey of Chiaravalle della Colomba, founded a new monastery on land granted them by the Bishop Lanfranco. The plot was located in a place called Fontevivo ("living spring") is on the left Bank of the stream parola beat key. Clearing and preparing the land, the monks started building, and soon there appeared a new big Church and the adjacent residential building. In 1245, the year the Abbey was captured and plundered by the army of Emperor Frederick II during his siege of Parma, and by the 15th century, its decline has become irreversible, and aided the assault troops of Lodovico II Moro in 1483, the year.

In 1518, the year by order of Pope Leo X Fontevivo Abbey combined with monastery of San Paolo-Fuori-Le-Mura in Rome, handing it to the jurisdiction of the congregation of Benedictines. He was then lost a large part of the invaluable archives of the Abbey.

The only surviving building of the Abbey - the former Church of San Bernardo, now owned by the parish Fontevivo. Modern apartment house - Villeggiatura del Collegio dei Nobili - built on the site of the monastery in 1733, the year. In the arched courtyard is preserved the features of the former cloister.

The Abbey Church built in the shape of a Latin cross, it is relatively modest transept with two side chapels and a square apse. Inside you can see the unusual fan-shaped Gothic vault. Outside the West facade of the Church decorated with ten marble columns of the 15th century. In one of the niches of the side chapels is kept a stone sculpture of the Madonna and child 12th century. Also in the Church you can see the tombstone of red marble, dated 1301, and belonging to the Marquis Guido Pallavicini, knights Templar, patron of the Abbey. And near it are a tomb made of bronze and marble, where rests the last Duke of Parma Ferdinand of Bourbon (died in 1802, the year).