/ / Abbey Cervara: photos, description (Abbazia della Cervara)

Abbey Cervara: photos, description (Abbazia della Cervara)

Abbey Cervara, also known as San Girolamo, a former religious complex in the town of Santa Margherita Ligure on the Ligurian coast of Italy. Located on the road to Portofino, the Abbey is a national monument.

In the Middle ages, this area, like all the coast of the Gulf of Tigullio up to Portofino, was called Siluria because it was covered with primeval forest ("silvae" in Latin means "forest"). Later Silveria" was transformed into "Cervara".

The monastery was built in 1361, the year on the initiative of Ottone Lanfranco, a priest in the Church of Santo Stefano in Genoa. He was later transferred to the Benedictine monks of Monte Cassino, who in the 15th century engaged in the restoration of the structure. At the time the monastery was a center for the dissemination of Flemish art in Liguria.

In 1546, the year the monastery was elevated to the status of Abbey and then was strengthened considerably in response to the increased threat of attacks by North African pirates. At the end of the 18th century the Abbey was abolished and pillaged, and kept there a valuable work of art, known as the "Polyptych Cervara", divided into parts and sold separately. Today, parts of the polyptych are in the museums of Genoa, Paris and new York.

In the 19th century, the entire religious complex was passed from hand to hand, some time it housed a school, and in 1912, the year it was declared a national monument. Today you can see the Church surrounded by a gallery of the cloister of the 16th-century tower built to protect against pirates, in fact, the building of the monastery and a lovely garden. The garden is characterized in that facing the sea, offers a spectacular view. Preserved monastery garden, which from Medieval times grew healing herbs.

Cervara today the Abbey is privately owned but it is open to holding public cultural events and also for visits in organized groups. The owners carried out a complete restoration to return the monastery to its historic appearance. One of the restorers - Pinin Brambilla Barcilon, previously with the restoration of the famous "last supper" of Leonardo da Vinci.