/ / The Accademia Carrara: photo description (Accademia di Carrara)

The Accademia Carrara: photo description (Accademia di Carrara)

The Accademia Carrara is a famous art Academy and art gallery, located in the Italian city of Bergamo. It is believed that the founder of the Academy was count Giacomo Carrara, a well-known philanthropist and collector, at the end of the 18th century transferred Bergamo extensive collection of works of art. After the death of the Earl in 1796-m year, and until 1958, the year this collection was ruled by specially appointed commissioners, and in the second half of the 20th century took the city municipality.

In 1810, the year collection storage Carrara by the architect Simone Elia had built a separate building. Due to purchases and numerous donations the collection of works of the gallery continually grew and increased. In 2006 year there were about 1,800 works from 15-19-th centuries, among which we can see the masterpieces of such masters as Botticelli, Bellini, Raphael, Tiepolo, Canaletto, Pisanello, etc. in Addition to the paintings here are the drawings, engravings, bronzes and porcelain, sculpture, furniture and medals.

As for the Academy of art, until 1912, the year was located in the same building as the gallery and was called "the school of drawing and painting". In 1988, the year it was transformed into the Academy of fine arts, which today is located in a separate building adjacent to the gallery. And in 1991-m to year near her, in the restored former convent, was founded the Gallery of modern art, which today at 10 exhibition halls of the works of the greatest masters of the 20th century, Boccioni, Morandi, Casorati, Kandinsky, Manza etc.