/ / Acate: photo description (Acate)

Acate: photo description (Acate)

Acate is a small town 34 km from Ragusa, located on a plateau in the valley of Dirillo. The city is surrounded by vast agricultural lands. Its main square - Piazza libertà - stores the most important local monuments, the most famous of which are the Chiesa Madre Church and the castle. About 13 km from Acate located seaside village Makkony, received its name from the typical sand dunes stretching along the coast from Scoglitti to the mouth of the river Dirillo.

Numerous finds made on the territory of modern Acate, suggests that the first human settlements were established here in prehistoric times. In these places lived Shilov tribes, the Romans and the Byzantines. In the era of Arab domination appeared the village of Tigrillo, received its name from the name of the river, Dirillo, but she remained only a few artifacts. The earliest mention of the village Dating from 1278, the year. Later the settlement was assimilated into the County of Modica, and then abandoned because of its predominantly marshy land could not meet the needs of the population. Another ancient settlement - Biscari - developed in the neighborhood and in the 15th century, under the rule of local aristocratic family of Venice, received the city status. Ignazio paternò Castello was declared the ruler of the city in the early 18th century after the devastating earthquake of 1693, the year). Its current name - ACAT - the city has received in 1938 year on the initiative of local historian Carlo'addario. It comes from the Roman name of the river, Dirillo - Achates.

Today Acate - a predominantly agricultural town developed due to its fertile soil, created in result of intensive drainage of wetlands. Here, produce and export wine, olive oil, citrus and other products. Industry and Commerce are underdeveloped, except for areas related to agriculture.

Familiarity with the ACAT is best to start from the Central Piazza libertà, where is located the Chiesa Madre Church and the castle - the city's main attractions. The Church, reconstructed after the earthquakes of 1693 and 1846-years, practically has not preserved its original appearance, with the exception of the arches in the choir room and some parts of the apse and transept. The castle, belonging to the family Biscari, today is in poor condition. It was built in 1494, the year was renovated in the 18th century, but then abandoned. Inside are preserved in relatively good condition just a prison cell. Near Piazza libertà is another religious landmark, the ACAT - the Church of San Vincenzo, in which the relics of the Saint and numerous valuable stucco decorations. The feast of Saint Vincenzo, patron Saint of Acate, is celebrated traditional horse races, the "Palio" on city streets.