/ / Aquarium Diacinto Cestoni: photo description (L Acquario comunale Diacinto Cestoni)

Aquarium Diacinto Cestoni: photo description (L Acquario comunale Diacinto Cestoni)

Aquarium Diacinto Cestoni, named after the famous Italian naturalist of the 17th century, is situated in Livorno, at the end of the impressive city waterfront and Terrazza Mascagni. Originally built for the center of heliotherapy, and later the building was converted, and in 1937-m to year it housed an aquarium. During the Second World war, the aquarium was destroyed and rebuilt only in 1950 year. Ten years later it was expanded, and in 1968, the year it housed the headquarters of the inter-University centre of marine biology, established by the commune of Livorno, and the universities of Bologna, Florence, Modena, Siena, Pisa and Turin. At the end of the 20th century the building of the aquarium is newly reconstructed, it was re-planned part of the embankment between the shipyard of the brothers Orlando and Terrazza Mascagni. In 2010, year updated the complex was solemnly opened to the public.

Aquarium Diacinto Cestoni consists of several buildings. The main building, in the center, has the shape of a rectangle with two apses at the sides. Nearby is a semi-circular body - the result of the last reconstruction. On the South side, in the building of the cubic form, are offices. The total exhibition area of the aquarium is 3 thousand sq. m. there are located 65 pools per thousand cubic meters of water. In the pools there are about 1200 animals belonging to 150 species. In 2010 year, the aquarium became the third largest in Italy after Genoa and the aquarium of Cattolica.