/ / Allier: photo description (Aglie)

Allier: photo description (Aglie)

Allier is a small town in the province of Turin in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 35 km North of the regional capital, Turin. It borders with the municipalities of San Martino Canavese, Torre Canavese, Bairro, Wilfre, Kuchela etc.

The main attraction of the Allier, is a historic castle, Castello Ducale, once one of the Royal residences of the Savoy dynasty. Along with other Royal residences of the castle included in the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO. Castello Ducale was built in the 12th century and was originally the property of the counts of San Martino. In the 17th century at the behest of count Filippo d ' aglie castle was converted into a luxurious residence, but in 1706, the year the structure was plundered and partially destroyed during the French invasion of Piedmont. Half a century later it was bought by Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy, then sold it to his son Benedetto, who, in turn, and began the restoration of the estate. Ten years has gone to the castle again began to Shine. Over the restoration project of the architect Ignazio Birago di Borgaro. Since then, Castello Ducale Palace served as the summer residence of the kings of Sardinia. Only in 1939, the year he was sold to the Italian state. Today the castle attracts attention with its monumental façade with two stairs and a fountain. Inside there are 300 rooms, most of which, however, has not preserved the original Royal interiors. The castle is surrounded by a huge English and Italian gardens. Near the castle stands the small Church of San Massimo.

Other attractions in Allier, you can call the Church of Santa Marta is an outstanding example of Baroque architecture of the work of Costanzo Michela; the country residence of the 19th-century Villa Meleto, where lived the poet Guido Gozzano Church of San Gaudenzio of the 14th century, where Gozzano is buried. On a small hill above the town rises the Church of Santa Maria della Rotonda, leading its origin from an ancient pagan temple. The building was rebuilt several times until the end of the 18th century has not gained its present appearance.