/ / The amphitheatre of Flavius in Pozzuoli: photo description (Anfiteatro flaviano puteolano)

The amphitheatre of Flavius in Pozzuoli: photo description (Anfiteatro flaviano puteolano)

The amphitheatre of Flavius, located in the town of Pozzuoli, in the Italian region of Campania, is the third largest Roman amphitheater in Italy. The larger one, only the Roman Colosseum and the amphitheatre of Capua. Presumably, the Flavius amphitheatre was built by the project of the same architects who worked on the Colosseum. Its construction began in the reign of the Emperor Vespasian and was completed under his son, Emperor Titus. Arena of the amphitheatre could accommodate up to 20 thousand spectators. It was here in the 305-year was executed by the Holy Puncture, which subsequently became the patron of Pozzuoli, and St. Januarius is the patron Saint of Naples.

The interior of the amphitheatre Flavia has reached our days almost intact and today you can see fragments of the means by which the cells were lifted up into the arena. The dimensions of the amphitheatre are striking still - 147 to 117 meters (arena was equal 72Ñ…42 meters).

The amphitheatre of Flavius was the second Roman amphitheatre, built in Pozzuoli. The first was smaller in size (130Ñ…95 metres) and older. It was built near the site of the crossing roads, going to Naples, Capua and Godfather. After the eruption of the volcano Solfatara of the amphitheatre were covered with ash and was abandoned and in the Middle ages with its external walls were removed marble slabs. In 1839-45, and 1880-82 the years it has been excavated, but, unfortunately, a little later the amphitheatre was almost completely destroyed during the construction of the railway line Rome - Naples. Survived only a dozen arches.