/ / Ancient Roman theatre, (Teatro Romano)

Ancient Roman theatre, (Teatro Romano)

Antique Roman theater, located on the hill of San Pietro in Verona, was built in the late 1st century BC between the bridges of Ponte Pietra and Ponte Postumio. To our days well preserved semicircular Cavea with steps shiny with the backdrop of brick and orchestra with Seating for noble visitors. In front of the stage is the proscenium, which at one time housed the curtain. Cavea width up to 105 meters "based" on the hill, and only at the sides, supported on circular walls. Once on it was arranged in three terraces with a width of about 120 meters, and today in their place stands the Castel San Pietro. The facade of the theater was decorated with semi-columns that had different style on each floor: on the ground - the Tuscan, the second of the Ionian, on the top floor adorned the pillars.

Because of its proximity to the river Adige, the theater has repeatedly suffered from floods, which led to the fact that in the Middle ages the area was covered with earth and built up different buildings. Once there even was the residence of the king of the Ostrogoths of Theodoric. Only in 1830 the ancient Roman theatre was brought back to life - old buildings, built on the site of his scenes were also removed, the excavated amphitheatre, and sweeping staircase and numerous arches restored. In 1851, on the top of the hill of San Pietro was also discovered remains of an ancient temple, crowning the original structure of the theater - the whole complex stretched from the river Adige to the top of the hill is 60 meters in height. "Novoukrainian" theatre was Andrea Monga, a wealthy merchant, who purchased the land and commissioned her large-scale excavations. In 1904 this area became the property of the City Council of Verona.

Today, next to the historic theater, considered the most important Roman theatre in Northern Italy, you can see the monastery of San Girolamo to the archaeological Museum and Church of Saints Cyr and Libera, built in the 10th century. By the way, St. Cyr was the first Christian priest of the town and secretly performed the Liturgy in the walls of the theater.