/ / Arian baptistery: photos, description (Battistero degli Ariani)

Arian baptistery: photos, description (Battistero degli Ariani)

The Arian baptistery was built in Ravenna in the 5-6-th centuries by order of the Emperor Theodoric, a supporter of Arianism. In order to distinguish the baptistery of the Orthodox, gave him this name - Arian. In 1996, the year he was included in the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

Immediately after the completion of construction at the beginning of the 6th century the space under the dome of the baptistery was decorated with mosaics. In the 561st year, when Arianism was banned, the baptistery turned into a chapel of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, and next built the Orthodox monastery. But from the 18th century and until 1914, the year it was in private ownership. By the mid-20th century the baptistery was surrounded on all sides by later additions, which, however, destroyed during the Second world war.

Architecture Arian baptistery is similar to the baptistery of the Orthodox: its walls will be made of the same unfired bricks, and under the roof you can see the cornice with toothed ornament. Of course, the main value of the building are mosaics depicting scenes of Christ's baptism. In these mosaics it is possible to notice features of primitivism, which appeared under the influence of the barbarian culture is ready, ruling in Ravenna in those days. Interestingly, Christ is here depicted completely naked. Around him are 12 apostles, coming from the crowns to the throne. And among the apostles the mosaicists painted palm trees.