/ / Arch of Augustus: photo description (Arco di Augusto)

Arch of Augustus: photo description (Arco di Augusto)

The arch of Augustus, standing in Piazza Arco d'augusto in Aosta, became not only one of the main tourist attractions of the city, but it's a kind of symbol, is definitely photographed all the guests of the capital of the Italian region of Val d'aosta.

Triumphal arch dedicated to the Emperor Augustus, located immediately after the bridge over the river Buthier on the road leading to the city through the ancient Porta Pretoria. This arch is one of the extant "contemporaries" of the powerful Roman Empire, whose troops in the 25th BC, defeated tribes salasso and the place of their settlement was founded a new colony.

Impressive structure in the style of "late Republic" is a semicircular arch with a width of about 9 meters, which is equal to the width of the road. The columns supporting it on all four sides, decorated with Corinthian capitals. Initially, the surface of the arches and columns were covered with reliefs depicting the Imperial trophies. Doric architrave with triglyphs and metope crowns the upper part of the arch, which for several centuries had Attica and visible commemorative inscription.

In the Middle ages the Augustus Arch was called "Saint-Woo" because of the image of the Savoir, which was later replaced by the cross (original cross is now kept in the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta). In 1716, the year to protect the monument from the water it was covered with a slate roof, and two centuries later, in 1912-13-m years - the monument was carefully restored. Then, in the early 20th century, light was extracted two large gilded bronze letters, probably before they were part of a dedicatory inscription.

Another Roman arch of the Val d Aosta, noteworthy, located in the town of Donnas. She is on the road Consolare delle Gallium, which was built in Roman times to link the capital of the Empire with the Valle del rodano. The arch carved into the rock with a length of 221 meters. In the height of arch is 4 meters, the same in width, and the distance between its side walls is equal to almost three meters. In the Middle ages this passage was closed for the night. Today near the arch you can still see ruts left by the wagons loaded, and a little apart from her mile stones figure "XXXVI", which marked the distance from Donnas to Aosta (about 50 km).