/ / GAVI arch: photos, description (Arco dei Gavi)

GAVI arch: photos, description (Arco dei Gavi)

GAVI arch is a triumphal arch built in Verona in the second half of the 1st century by the architect Lucius Vitruvius of Cardona. Its name it received in honour of the family Gavia - one of the most noble families of Verona in Roman times. In the Middle ages the arch was used as a gate in the city wall, which was surrounded by Verona by resolution of the City Council, and in the 16th century it was built a various facilities - shops of artisans and shops. In addition, during the Renaissance many artists and architects took the Arch of GAVI, for example of the classical style in the construction of churches, chapels and chapels of Northern Italy. Among arch inspired by the masters of the great Andrea Palladio. In 1805, when Italy was conquered by Napoleon, the arch was dismantled to improve access to the city to the French. The stones of the monument was first placed in Piazza Cittadella, and then moved to the amphitheater of Verona. In 1814, for the construction of the new road were demolished and the lower part of the tower arch, remaining in the same place, and its base. Fortunately, in 1932, a historic monument restored from the preserved material and found near the site of its original location - near the castle of Castelvecchio.

GAVI arch consists of a single span, the facades are decorated with semi-columns, and the doorway is a decorative frieze with floral ornaments. The height of the arch is of 12.69 meters. Two main facades facing the street of via Postumia. The pedestal is made of 4 blocks of local limestone, columns 11, in the entablature and an attic left by 3 units. In the lateral niches once housed statues, depicting members of the family of GAVI. Interesting detail under the arch you can see a surviving fragment of the pavement of the Roman road.