/ / The arch of the Etruscans: photo description (L'arco etrusco)

The arch of the Etruscans: photo description (L'arco etrusco)

Etruscan arch, also known as the Arch of Augustus, was built in Perugia in about the 3rd century BC and were one of the seven entrance gates to the city at that time. Passing through the arch and down the road Ulysses rocky, you can be on the Corso Vannucci, the main street of Perugia.

Two centuries later after construction of the arch was engraved the inscription "Augusta Perusia" - it marked the conquest of the city by Emperor Augustus. Perugia surrendered after a seven-month siege in about 40 BC, It was a period of violent clashes between Augustus and mark Antony. The last brother, Lucius, was holed up in Perugia at the time the city was virtually impregnable, as it was on a hill and was surrounded by a strong wall with seven gates. Moreover, according to historical Chronicles, army of Lucius outnumbered the enemy, and the city had enough supplies of food and weapons. August decided to personally lead the military campaign against the defiant rebels. In the end, Perugia fell, and the Emperor did not hesitate to massacre - he plundered and burned the town, retaining only the temples of Vulcan and Juno.

But, in order to mitigate the effects of their actions, Augustus allowed the survivors to rebuild Perugia again, but with the condition that the city will be called Augusta Perusia. So appropriate inscription appeared on the Arch of the Etruscans and the gate of the Port of Marcia.

Over the centuries of its history the Arch of the Etruscans, not just changing the name - she was the Third of the Porte and the Porte Bork, the arc de Triomphe and the Port Vecchia and Port Pulchra. Anyway, these monumental gates compared to other gates, the best preserved of all.

The arch of the Etruscans consists of two trapezoidal towers and facade. Above it is a small Lodge in the Renaissance style, built in the 16th century, and on both sides of it are blocks of Sandstone with the remains of two goals. Once they symbolized the ancient deities guarding the city. At the base of the right tower the arches in the 17th century was built the fountain.

Above the arch is visible metopas decorated with a frieze with a round shield and a Latin inscription "Colonia Vibia". It was made by order of Gaius Vibe Tribonian Galla during his short reign with 251 for 253 years. Military leader of Gaul, who ascended the throne in the so-called "military anarchy" and announced the fall of the Western Roman Empire, was a descendant of a famous family that had Etruscan roots and probably came from Perugia. Just two years later, after the accession he was murdered by his own soldiers, who joined another military leader Marcus Aemilianus.

In front of the Arch is the Baroque Palazzo Gallenga Stuart, which opened in 1927, hosting the University of Perugia for foreigners. The Palace was built on the initiative of Giuseppe Antinori as the residence of a noble of Perugia last name Antinori. It was here in 1720, the young Carlo Goldoni staged his first performance. In 1875, the Palazzo was purchased by Romeo Gallenga Stewart - hence the modern name of the building.