/ / Arona: photo description (Arona)

Arona: photo description (Arona)

Arona is a small town on Lago Maggiore. The main source of income of the locals is tourism, and most tourists come here from Milan, France and Germany.

Archaeological finds made on the territory of modern Arona, suggests that this area was inhabited as early as 18-13 th centuries BC Later it passed from hand to hand - it belonged to the Celts, the Romans and the Lombards. In the 11th century here was founded the Benedictine Abbey of the Holy martyrs graciana and Felina. After the siege and destruction of Milan by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa in 1162, the year, many of the surviving inhabitants fled to Aaron, where he found shelter. Then Aaron became the property of the family of Torriani, and 1,277-year - Visconti. At the beginning of the 14th century the town became an independent commune. Finally, in 1439, the year it was purchased by Vitaliano Borromeo, making Aaron, thus, the possession of his noble and powerful family.

Today Aaron is primarily a tourist town with several interesting sights. Among them stands out the "Sancarlone" - a giant statue of Saint Charles (Charles) Borromeo, the construction of which began in 1614, the year by order of cardinal Federico Borromeo, and was completed in 1698, the year. Reaching of 35.1 meters in height, this statue was once the largest bronze statue in the world. Today its size, it is second only to the famous Statue of Liberty. They even say that the creators of the statue of Liberty when it relied on the drawings of Sancarlone. It was assumed that Sancarlone will only be part of an architectural complex of several buildings and chapels celebrating the life of St. Charles Borromeo. In fact, however, managed to build only three of the chapel. Next to this giant statue stands in the Basilica of the 17th century former Bishop's Palace. A small copy of Sancarlone can also be seen on the main square of Verbania, Corso Cavour.

Another landmark is the castle of La Rocca, which was once owned by the family of Borromeo. It was born Karl Borromeo. The castle was destroyed during the reign of Napoleon, and today its grounds into a public Park.

The promenade Lungolago offers wonderful views of the castle of Angera and the Alps. To swim in the lake is permitted: close to Piazza del Popolo equipped beach of Le rocchette ("little stones"). And in an urban area is Mercurago Lagoni Park, a protected area with a peat bog and pastures in which graze blooded horses. Also, in Arona you can visit the Church of the Collegiata della Nativita di Maria Vergine end of the 15th century as it holds paintings of the deeds of St. Charles Borromeo.