/ / Arsenal: photos, description (Arsenale di Venezia)

Arsenal: photos, description (Arsenale di Venezia)

Arsenal is certainly one of the most famous sights of Venice, which is a huge shipyard, which is now mostly not used. It is located in the Eastern area of Venice, Castello.

The first shipyard on this spot appeared in the 8th century, when Venice was just a distant district of the Byzantine Empire. The origin of the name Arsenal is still unknown, but some scientists suggest that this distorted the Arabic word Dar al-Sina", which actually means "Builder". Arsenal was one of the seven city shipyards where were built and repaired commercial and military vessels. After 1320, the year it was added to the New Arsenal (Arsenale Nuovo), here began to build all warships of Venice and most of the trading ships. Here they were served. In those same years around the Arsenal was built a huge number of houses for the shipyard workers and a few specialized workshops. And in 1473, the year the Arsenal was attached to another shipyards - Arsenale Nuovissimo.

The Venetians made a revolution in shipbuilding: they abandoned Roman technology, which first constructed the hull of the ship, and then around it were built the rest. Instead, they first built the 'shell' of the ship, and then added to it in different parts. By the early 16th century the engineers of the Arsenal could float one ship a day due to the fact that they standardized the design of ships and hired specialists for each stage of the construction process. At the peak of his production Arsenal has provided jobs to over 16 thousand people! It was even called "a city within a city". The engineers of the Arsenal also was one of the pioneers in the manufacture of firearms - that they are in 1370-ies were among the first to produce guns and pistols.

At the beginning of the 16th century, the Arsenal was first built three-masted galley - it was a huge ship, like a floating fortress whose sole purpose was to serve as a platform for the powerful naval guns. However, galeas was not viable, because it was too slow and difficult to maneuver. Realizing his mistake, the workers of the Arsenal soon brought to light the Galleon - another floating fortress, armed with the latest technology, which was destined to play a major role in the history of mankind.

The main gate to the Arsenal was the Port Manija, built in 1460, the year the architect Antonio Gambello project Jacopo Bellini. The arched gateway, surmounted by a triangular pediment, and the famous winged lions guarding the entrance, framed by double pilasters. Around on marble plinths can be seen of classical statues. Port Manija was the first Renaissance building in Venice. Lions sitting on both sides of the gate, was brought from Greece in 1687 year. One of them - Piraeus - visible inscriptions of the 11th century made the medieval Nordic text.

Arsenal was partially destroyed after the capture of Venice by Napoleon in 1797, the year. Despite the fact that at the end of the 19th century the Italian government has spent considerable resources on the transformation of the shipyard into a naval base, it could no longer meet the requirements of modern shipbuilding. Today, the Arsenal is only partly used as a naval base. In addition there are a research centre, exhibition space and a centre dedicated to the history of shipbuilding. The greater part of the territory is deserted.