/ / Archaeological Museum Paolo Orsi: photos, description (Museo Archeologico Regionale “Paolo Orsi”)

Archaeological Museum Paolo Orsi: photos, description (Museo Archeologico Regionale “Paolo Orsi”)

The archeological Paolo Orsi Museum (Museo Archeologico Regionale “Paolo Orsi”) bears the honorable title of one of the most important thematic museums of Europe. It is located in Syracuse, close to Archbishop's Palace.

In 1780 Bishop Alagona inaugurated the Museum of the Seminary, has become almost thirty years later the municipal Museum. Then, in accordance with the Royal decree of 1878, approved the establishment of the National archaeological Museum of Syracuse, which, however, was opened in 1886 in a historic building in Piazza Duomo.

From 1895 to 1934, the Museum's Director was Paolo Orsi was an Italian archaeologist, Explorer prehistoric and ancient periods in the history of Italy. The growth of the Museum collections soon demanded larger accommodations. The new building was entrusted to architect, Minissi, who chose this area close to the picturesque Villa Landolina. The Grand opening of the new Museum, who have placed their exhibits on two floors with a total area of 9 thousand sq. m., took place in January 1988. Initially, the public were open only one of the two floors and basement with an area of 3 thousand square meters, in which housed the audience. In 2006, the exhibition area of the upper floor was increased, it houses collections devoted to the period of antiquity and the Roman Empire.

Today the Museum contains artifacts relating to the prehistoric period and up to the Greek and Roman eras. All of them were found during archaeological excavations in the territory of Syracuse and in other parts of Sicily. The first floor is divided into three sectors, and its Central part is devoted to the history of the Museum itself. In the sector And collected the exhibits, dated by the upper Paleolithic and the iron age, but fossils that indicate the presence of various forms of life in Sicily in those days. Sector In the period of Greek colonization of the island: here are the headless marble statue of a young warrior from the village of Leontini Dating back to the early 5th century BC, a statue of a woman breastfeeding twins, found in Megara, Illia, the temple statues of Demeter, Persephone and the Gorgons, the head of the Emperor Augustus, a magnificent sculpture of Venus Landolina, found in 1804, etc. In the sector With exhibits finds from the colonies of Syracuse Akrai, Casmene, Kamarina and Eloro, as well as from other cities of Eastern Sicily and Agrigento. Finally, sector D was opened in 2006 - it contains exhibits from the Hellenistic-Roman periods, among which a magnificent sarcophagus of Adelfia and the collection of coins.

Close to the Archaeological Museum is the ancient Villa Landolina, and nearby Park with Roman and Greek finds, the tomb of the German poet August von platena.