/ / Archbishop's chapel: photos, description (Cappella Arcivescovile)

Archbishop's chapel: photos, description (Cappella Arcivescovile)

Archiepiscopal chapel is one of the ancient churches of Ravenna, built in the late 5th - early 6th century by the Emperor Theodoric on the ground floor of the Episcopal Palace. This is the smallest of the famous buildings in Ravenna and decorated with mosaics. Dedicated to the Apostle Andrew, in 1996, the year the chapel was inscribed on the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

Archbishop's chapel has the shape of a Greek cross, the Eastern end of which ends in an apse. In front of the entrance is a rectangular vestibule, the vault of which is decorated with a mosaic of white lilies, roses and colorful birds. Mosaic decorates the lunette above the entrance to the chapel - here you can see a young Christ-a warrior in Roman armor. In the apse is preserved another mosaic with the image of a cross on a background of the starry sky. On the arch also painted the monogram of Christ and the symbols of the evangelists. It is believed that the frequent depiction of Christ speaks of the desire of the customer of the chapel to emphasize the divine nature of Jesus, which rejected the Goths-Arians.

To have survived not all original mosaic - some of them in the 16th century were covered with a tempera painting of Luke Longhi. In 1914, the year the chapel was restored, reworked entrance. Today inside it is possible to see silver cross the local Archbishop of Agnellus with medallions of the 6th and 16th centuries.

Archiepiscopal chapel is the only extant early Christian private chapel in Europe.