/ / Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano: photos, description Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)

Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano: photos, description Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)

Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano - minor Basilica in Rome dedicated to Pope Clement I. the Church Building consists of three levels - actually, a Basilica built in the 12th century; it is located under the Basilica of the 4th century, which was converted from the home of a noble Roman, and the structure of the 1st century ad, This juxtaposition demonstrates the growing power of the Christian Church for centuries.

The lower part of the Basilica San Clemente is a ruins of a building which was probably destroyed during the Great fire of 64 ad In its place was erected another structure, perhaps a mint, which was later rebuilt into a residential house. Approximately two centuries later, the Central part of the house was adapted for mithraeum - temple of the cult of Mithras. The main hall of the temple with a length of about 9.6 m and a width of 6 m was discovered in 1867. There was found the altar in the form of a sarcophagus with the image of Mithras piercing the bull with a dagger.

In the 4th century the lower floor of the building was buried under the ground and the second floor was converted into a kind of Basilica. The first mention of it is found in 392, the year, and already in the 9th century the temple was first renovated. Here Raineri cardinal was elected Pope under the name of Paschal table II. Interestingly, in the lower Basilica was discovered one of the largest in Rome, collections of early medieval wall paintings.

The current Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano was built in the late 11th - early 12th centuries. Today it is considered one of the most richly decorated churches in Rome. The main entrance is through an atrium surrounded by arcades, which serves as the cloisters. The atrium facing severe facade of the Fountain, supported by antique columns, and a small bell tower. Inside attracts the attention of the mosaic floor in the style of cosmatesque.

The custodians of San Clemente since 1667 the Irish monks-the Dominicans (after England recognized the Catholic Church outlawed Pope urban VIII bestowed upon the exiled Irish asylum). They are the same in 1950-ies together with archaeology students carried out excavations in the Church.

In one of the side chapels is the tomb of St. Cyril, who, together with Methodius invented the Glagolitic alphabet and contributed to the baptism of the Slavs.