/ / Basilica of San Michele Maggiore: photo description (Basilica di San Michele Maggiore)

Basilica of San Michele Maggiore: photo description (Basilica di San Michele Maggiore)

Basilica of San Michele Maggiore in Pavia is one of the most outstanding examples of Lombard Romanesque style. The Church, dedicated to the Archangel Michael, was built in 11-12th centuries.

The first temple in honor of Archangel Michael was erected at Pavia on the site of the present chapel of the Palace, but was destroyed during a fire in 1004, the year. The construction of the modern building of the Basilica began in the late 10th century (crypt, choir and transept) and was completed in 1155, the year. And in 1489, the year the arches of the Central nave was replaced on the project by Agostino da Candia. It was in this Church was crowned Louis IIIB 900, the year and the great Frederick Barbarossa in 1155, the year, and there have been other important historical events.

San Michele Maggiore can be considered the prototype of the many medieval churches of Pavia, for example, San Pietro in Ciel Oro and San Teodoro. However, it differs from the latter in that in its construction is of bricks used Sandstone and shape of a Latin cross with Central nave and two side aisles and a long transept. The transept of San Michele Maggiore has its own façade, a false apse and a barrel vault and stands out from the overall design of the Church. Also noteworthy is its length - 38 of 55 meters of the total length of the Basilica.

At the intersection of the nave and transept rises the octagonal, asymmetrical dome supported by pendentives of the vault in the Lombardo-Romanesque style. The facade of the Basilica is decorated with numerous sculptures of Sandstone, some of which, unfortunately, is now destroyed. Here you can see five double and one single arched window and the cross, which are a reconstruction of the 19th century. The bas-reliefs on the facade depict the human figure, animals and fantastic creatures. On the small portal placed the portraits of the Holy Anode, Bishop of Pavia, and St. Leucadia, Archbishop of Ravenna, and in the lunettes are visible images of angels. In the apse with the huge fresco of the 16th century, is the main altar with the relics of saints Anode and Leucadia. In the presbytery retains the old mosaic, and in the crypt is beautifully decorated capitals and the monument of Martino Salimbene 15th century.