/ / Basilica of San Pietro di Castello: photo description (Basilica di San Pietro di Castello)

Basilica of San Pietro di Castello: photo description (Basilica di San Pietro di Castello)

Basilica of San Pietro di Castello - Roman Catholic minor Basilica of the Patriarch of Venice located in the Castello quarter, in the tiny eponymous island. The current Church building dates from the 16th century, however, the first temple on this place was built in the 7th century. From 1451 to 1807-th years of San Pietro di Castello was the main Cathedral of Venice and religious center of the city. During its long history the Church has undergone several transformations, has worked on the most prominent architects of Venice. For example, reconstruction of the facade and interior of San Pietro was the first work of the great Andrea Palladio in this city.

The first structure on the site of the present Cathedral dates from the 7th century. It was one of the eight churches founded in the waters of the Venetian lagoon, St. Magnus, Bishop of Oderzo. In those years, Venice itself did not exist, was only a series of villages scattered on the small Islands. According to the legend, St. Magnus was the Apostle Peter, who commanded him to build a Church on the spot where he sees ox, and sheep grazing side by side. In that place was a Church, later consecrated in honor of St. Peter.

In 1120, the year a fire destroyed the Church building, and it was decided to build a new, larger size. In addition, a new Church was built the baptistery of John the Baptist. But three centuries later, despite the fact that San Pietro was at some distance from the political and economic center of Venice, the Cathedral becomes chair of a powerful Patriarch. Immediately after this, the restoration work and reconstruction. In 1480-ies Mauro Codussi rebuilt the bell tower of the Church, using white Istrian stone. Between 1508 and 1524 m over the years is replacement of flooring and ceilings of the Church. At the same time, was rebuilt the small chapel, and the Church interior received a new look.

In 1558, the year of Andrea Palladio, prepared a project of reconstruction of the facade of San Pietro di Castello, which, however, was only implemented at the end of the 16th century architect Francisco Smeraldi. But after 1807, the year the official Cathedral of Venice was St. Mark's Basilica, San Pietro gradually began to decline. During the First World war it was bombed, and only thanks to the efforts of the public was restored. Today the building of San Pietro di Castello and its surroundings are included in the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

The Church building has a huge Central nave and two lateral chapels. The transept crosses the Church, separating the nave from the presbytery. Above the point of intersection stands a huge dome, one of the most remarkable in Venice. In the left side aisle is the chapel of the Vendramin, designed by the architect Longhena Baldassare. He also belongs to the main throne, which he did in the mid-17th century. The organ was designed by the master of Dalmatia Pietro Nagini in the 18th century. Of the works of art that adorn the San Pietro di Castello, stands out the painting of Paolo Veronese and the altarpiece by Luca Giordano. And one of the unusual sights of the temple is the so-called Throne of St. Peter is the chair of the 13th century, carved out of a tombstone and inscribed with quotations from the Koran.