/ / Basilica of Sant Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso: photo description (Sant'ambrogio e Carlo al Corso)

Basilica of Sant Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso: photo description (Sant'ambrogio e Carlo al Corso)

Sant Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso is a Basilica in Rome, facing the Central street via del Corso. The apse of the Church faces the mausoleum of Augustus on via di Ripetta. The Church dedicated to saints Ambrose and Carlo Borromeo, a native of Milan, and is one of three in Rome, the title of which appears the name Borromeo (the other two being San Carlo AI Catinari and San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane).

The construction of the temple began after the canonization of Carlo Borromeo in 1610. For the construction of the Church was chosen the place where once stood the Church of San Nicola de Tofo. In plan Church represents a Latin cross and a dome resembling the dome of Santi Luca e Martina, designed by Pietro da Cortona, who is also the author of the apse and the rich inner decorations. The façade was designed by cardinal Luigi Alessandro Omodei, who did not like the sketch Carlo Rainaldi.

The Central arch of the Church, painted the fresco depicting the fall of the rebel angels painted by Giacinto brandi. And the altarpiece depicting the saints Ambrose and Carlo Borromeo, the virgin Mary and Jesus - the work of Carlo Maratta (about 1685-1690.). Emphasis stucco decorations Giacomo and Cosimo Fancelli and a statue of the saints for the work of Francesco Cavallini.

In the indoor interior gallery, located behind the Church, you can find a niche with the Shrine where is stored the heart of a Saint Carlo Borromeo. Cancer was transferred to the Church in 1614 by cardinal Federico Borromeo, cousin of the Saint. In the Church you can also explore the chapel with various frescoes, paintings, monuments, etc., the Chapel of St. Olav, the Norwegian is dedicated to the king-Martyr, who was converted to Christianity and was killed in 1030 in the battle of Stiklestad. It was inaugurated in 1893 in honor of the 50-year anniversary of the date of Norway's first mass since the reformation. The painting in the chapel depicts the victory of king of the Viking over his own pagan past which is presented in the form of a dragon. In 1980, the chapel of St. Olav was restored and re-opened to the public in the presence of the Bishop of Oslo.