/ / Basilica of Sant'andrea in Vercelli: pictures, description Basilica di Sant'andrea)

Basilica of Sant'andrea in Vercelli: pictures, description Basilica di Sant'andrea)

Basilica of Sant'andrea collegiate Church in the town of Vercelli, Piedmont, founded in 1219, the year on the initiative of cardinal Guala, Bicchieri. Was built over 8 years and was finally completed in 1227, the year. The building is an example of early Gothic architecture of Italy, despite the fact that it is possible to see traits of the Romanesque style.

In 1219, the year cardinal Guala, Bicchieri returned from England, where he served as papal legate and was where king Henry III granted him a lifetime right to the income from the monastery of St Andrew in Chesterton, Cambridge. Thanks to this financial support, the cardinal was able to invite a few monks in Vercelli from the Parisian monastery of St. Victor, instructing them to engage in the construction of the new Abbey and hospital for pilgrims walking the Road of the Franks - of the via Francigena. The construction of the hospital began in 1224, the year. Despite the fact that the architect who worked on the building, is still unknown, it is believed that the features of the Gothic style emerged here due to the influence of the French clergy, including the Abbot Tom Gallos, a former Professor at the University of Paris. Some historians believe that the architect could be Benedetto by Antel. And features Romanesque talking about the fact that the creation of the temple had a local craftsman as this style dominated then in Northern Italy.

Thanks to the diplomatic success of Bicchieri, Abbey was able to expand their holdings through private donations and privileges obtained from Pope Honorius III and Emperor Frederick II. Bicchieri, died in Rome in 1227, the year - in a year when the Basilica was completed.

In the early 15th century on a small distance right of the Church was built a new bell tower, and in the following centuries it was rebuilt a monastic cloister with the original columns. In 1617, the year during the siege of Vercelli structure suffered considerable damage, and only in the 19th century managed to carry out extensive restoration work, during which, by the way, was found a trunk, Bicchieri. Today the find is preserved in the Museum of ancient art Turin. Restoration work was also carried out in 1927 and 1955-1960-m years.