/ / Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo: photo, description Basilica di Santa Maria del Popolo)

Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo: photo, description Basilica di Santa Maria del Popolo)

Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo Church in Rome, belonging to the order of Augustinians. Located in the Northern part of Piazza del Popolo, one of the most famous squares of the city. The Church is like sandwiched between the gates of the Porta del Popolo and the Pincio hill. Inside the Basilica is decorated with works by several famous painters Raphael, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Caravaggio, Pinturicchio, Andrea Bregno, Donato Bramante.

In 1099 by order of the Pope, the Paschalia II over the tomb of a noble Roman family, Domite Ahenobarbi was built the chapel of the virgin Mary. Legend has it that this place was frequently visited by the Ghost of the Emperor Nero or demons in the guise of black ravens. That is why the Pope ordered to cut here grew a walnut tree that has become home to the ravens, and build a chapel. In 1235, the chapel was enlarged and became a Church by will of Pope Gregory IX. He's in 1250 granted the Church to the order of Augustinian monks.

In the years 1472-1477 on the reconstruction of Santa Maria del Popolo worked Bachchio Pontelli and Andrea Bregno, who turned the Basilica into one of the best examples of the early Italian Renaissance. And in the mid-17th century Gian Lorenzo Bernini at the request of Pope Alexander VII redid the facade, giving it a Baroque appearance. Above the apse of the Basilica of Bramante worked. Here you will find the oldest in Rome stained glass window made by the Frenchman Guillaume de Maria. Pinturicchio painted the arches of the Basilica with frescoes and the tombs of cardinals Ascanio Sforza and Girolamo basso della Rovere of Andrea Sansovino also adorn the apse.

In the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo individual attention of the chapel. So, the chapel Della Rovere was built for cardinal Domenico della Rovere, 1471-1484 in the years immediately after the reconstruction of the Church. The decorations of the chapel is attributed to the brush of Pinturicchio and his pupils. In General, the chapel has a lot of tombstones is one of the most well-preserved examples of the early Italian Renaissance in Rome.

Chapel Chibo was created for cardinal Alderano Chibo at the end of the 17th century — it worked on by Carlo Fontana. Adorn the beauty of her paintings, priceless marble walls and the work of outstanding artists who worked on the creation of the chapel, make it one of the most important sacred monuments of Rome in the late 17th century.

Also noteworthy is the chapel Cerasi with canvases of Caravaggio and the Chigi chapel, the project and decorations which worked great Raphael (1513).