/ / Basilica of Santa Sabina: photo description (Basilica di Santa Sabina all’ Aventino)

Basilica of Santa Sabina: photo description (Basilica di Santa Sabina all’ Aventino)

Basilica di Santa Sabina Church on Aventine hill in Rome, has the title of minor Basilica. Is run by a Catholic religious order of brothers preachers, known as Dominicans. Santa Sabina stands on the Tiber, near the headquarters of the knightly order of Malta.

Santa Sabina is the oldest Basilica in Rome, which has preserved its original plan and architectural form, and its decorations were recreated according to original drawings.

Santa Sabina was built by priest from Dalmatia by Petrus between 422 and 432 years near the temple of Juno on the Aventine hill in Rome. The Church stands on the spot where in the 4th century was located the house of St. Sabina, came from the Italian region of Abruzzo. Sabina was beheaded by order of Emperor Vespasian or Hadrian for the fact that he converted to Christianity. She was later canonized as a Christian Saint.

The interior of the Church was significantly renovated in 1587 by Domenico Fontana and in 1643 Francesco Borromini. Later the Italian architect and historian Antonio Munoz returned to the Basilica to its medieval appearance. The bell tower of the 10th century was rebuilt in the Baroque era. It was in this Church was held a Conclave of the year 1287, it is true that the prelates were forced to leave the building after six members of the Conclave died due to the outbreak of the plague. The Conclave was resumed a year later on the new Pope elected Nicholas IV.

As mentioned above, the Basilica of Santa Sabina has retained its original appearance. It is believed that the wooden door of the Basilica - the ones that were installed here in the early 5th century. On the door panels depicted scenes from the Bible, including one of the earliest images of Christ's execution. But the mosaic of the 5th century, the apse was replaced in 1559 by a fresco of Taddeo Zuccari. An interesting detail of the interior of the Church is a fenced hole in the floor through which you can see a column of the Roman temple. This is probably part of the temple of Juno.

The cells of the monks, the Dominicans changed little over time. So, it is still possible to identify the cell of St. Dominic despite the fact that it was enlarged and converted into a chapel. To have survived the dining hall, where a great Thomas Aquinas during his stay in Rome.