/ / The Basilica of Santi Vicenzo e Caterina de Ricci: photos, description (Basilica dei Santi Vincenzo e Caterina de' Ricci)

The Basilica of Santi Vicenzo e Caterina de Ricci: photos, description (Basilica dei Santi Vincenzo e Caterina de' Ricci)

Minor Basilica of Santi Vicenzo e Caterina de Ricci - religious attraction of the city of Prato in Tuscany.

The Church of San Vicenzo, was built in the 15th century. Today, she is also dedicated to Catherine de Ricci Catholic Saint, who lived in the 16th century. She was a nun nearby monastery of St. Vincent Ferrer. After about 150 years after his death (in 1732, the year) Catherine was canonized and canonized. After canonization in the Church of San Vicenzo was a large-scale reconstruction (1732-1735-m respectively), with the participation of masters Giovanni Battista Bettini and Girolamo Ticciati. The relics of St. Catherine de Ricci was placed in storage under the main altar of the temple - this event led to giving the Church the status of minor Basilica.

The modest appearance of the Church of Santi Vicenzo e Caterina de Ricci does not match luxurious interior, decorated in the Baroque style. Here you can see a picture of Michele delle Colombe of the 16th century, the marble relief of the Madonna and child 15th century Matteo Civitali and canvas Vincenzo Meucci. On the wall of the nave and above the altar is preserved a series of reliefs Girolamo Ticciati and Vicenzo, Foggini, son of the more famous sculptor Giovanni Battista Foggini that depict the various miracles attributed to St. Catherine. The painted vaults of the temple Pucci.

Next to the Church is a monastery with a cloister, founded in 1503, the year and expanded in the years of the life of Catherine de Ricci. Covered porch leads to the chapel of Papalini Madonna, which houses a bust of the 16th century, made in the technique of majolica. Legend has it that this bust saved the monastery during the siege of Prato in 1512, the year the Spanish forces of king Ferdinand II of Aragon and Pope Julius II. The altar of this chapel is decorated with works by Michele delle Colombe , and in the interior you can see pictures of Simone Pignoni, Lorenzo Lippi, ridolfo del Ghirlandaio and etc. Some part of the monastery closed to the public.