/ / The baptistery of San Giovanni: photo description (Battistero di San Giovanni)

The baptistery of San Giovanni: photo description (Battistero di San Giovanni)

Battistero di San Giovanni is a religious building in Siena, located in the eponymous square near the Cathedral. The baptistery was built between 1316 and 1325 years architect Camaino di Crescentino, the father of Italian sculptor Tino di Camaino. The façade in Gothic style, is unfinished in its upper part, as well as the apse of the Cathedral.

Inside, in a rectangular hall divided into nave and aisles by two rows of columns, is the hexagonal baptismal font in bronze, marble and enamel, made in the years 1417-1431 by the main sculptors of the time, the great Donatello (the hand belongs to "the Feast of Herod and the statues of Faith and Hope), Gilardi Lorenzo, Giovanni di Turino, Goro di Neroccio and Jacopo della Quercia (he sculpted the statue of John the Baptist and a few other pieces). In scenes depicting the life of John the Baptist, you can see his birth, the baptism of Christ, the arrest, etc. On the sides there are six figures: Faith and Hope in 1429, made by Donatello, Justice, Mercy, and Providence, executed by Giovanni di Turino, and Bravery is the creation of Goro di Ser, Neroccio.

The marble ark font was designed by Jacopo della Quercia between 1427 and 1429 years. Five Magi in the niches and a marble statuette of John the Baptist on top of his creation. Around spread her wings bronze angels: two belong to the hand of Donatello, three by Giovanni di Turino, and the sixth made by the unknown master.

The frescoes that decorate the baptistery belong to the brush of Vecchietti and pupils of his school. He drew two pictures on the wall of the apse, depicting the Flagellation and road to Calvary. In 1477 and vaults of the apse was painted with frescoes had worked Michele di Matteo da Bologna.