/ / Torre del Mangia, the Torre del Mangia)

Torre del Mangia, the Torre del Mangia)

The Torre del Mangia is the bell tower in Siena, was built in 1338-1348 years on the main city square Piazza del Campo next to the Palazzo Pubblico. After completion of construction it was the tallest secular tower of medieval Italy. Today the 88-meter high Torre del Mangia with three-meter thick walls is the second tallest after tower Torrazzo in Cremona.

Interesting point: the tower was built in the same period as the Cathedral of Siena, which has become a symbol of the equivalence of secular and ecclesiastical power in the city.

Name designs, literally meaning tower of the Eater, comes from the nickname of its first guardian, Giovanni di Balduccio known as Mangiaguadagni. It is called so because all the money he spent on food.

The upper part of the Torre del Mangia made by the architect Agostino di Giovanni on the draft Mastro Lippo. The marble loggia, known as Cappella di Piazza, was added in 1352 as the fulfillment of a vow made by the inhabitants of Siena to the virgin Mary for deliverance from a terrible plague. Its current form pilasters acquired in 1378, and later he was decorated with sculptures by Mariano d'angelo Romanelli and Bartolomeo di Tomme. Simple wooden roof that once covered the gallery was replaced by the current marble arch in the Renaissance style in the years 1461-1468 by Antonio federighi. He was the author of the extravagant decorations. In 1537-1539 years or Sodom wrote above the altar a fresco, the original of which can be seen today in the City Museum in the Gothic Palazzo Pubblico. Mechanical clock placed on the tower in 1360.

Today the Torre del Mangia is visible from all parts of Siena. It is interesting that worldwide, there are several counterparts of this tower: for example, the Memorial clock tower the Joseph Chamberlain at the University of Birmingham in the UK; built in 1909, the tower in Waterbury or the Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown in the United States.