/ / Torre medicea di Portoferraio: photo, description Torre Medicea)

Torre medicea di Portoferraio: photo, description Torre Medicea)

Torre medicea di Portoferraio is one of the tourist attractions of the resort town of Castiglioncello. It was built in the mid-16th century by order of the Medici family as part of the coastal defensive system. Nearby is the small Church of Sant Andrea Apostolo.

It is known that the construction of the tower began not earlier than 1540, the year and finally ended in 1570, the year. In the early 17th century, with the establishment of the new captaincy of Livorno, the tower has become the most southern observation tower throughout the province. Its military and defensive value it has maintained in the future.

In the 19th century Torre medicea di Portoferraio became the property of the state, and in 1872, the year it was bought by the artist Diego Martelli, who later gave it to his mother. Subsequently, the tower was moved to the Baron Lazzaro Patrone, owner of a neighboring castle, now known as the Castello Pasquini, and in the late 19th and early 20th centuries more than once changed hands. Many owners several times rebuilt Torre medicea di Portoferraio and changed its purpose - for example, the count of Gualtiero Daniel have built next to the tower house in the medieval style.

In December 2002, the year ended with the restoration of the old tower, during which the structure was returned to its original appearance. Today it is a massive square building with not very graceful forms. The tower stands on a retaining wall, above which is the entrance inside. In the tower are two residential floors and one storage floor.