/ / The Benedictine monastery of Santa Sofia: photo description (Monastero di Santa Sofia)

The Benedictine monastery of Santa Sofia: photo description (Monastero di Santa Sofia)

The Benedictine monastery of Santa Sofia in Salerno was founded in the late 10th century. It is located on via de Trotula Ruggiero North-West from Piazza abate Conforti.

Originally in Santa Sofia the monks lived, and then, two centuries later, the monastery was given to the nuns of the same order of the Benedictines. In 1592, the year the building became the property of the Jesuits, who founded there a school for boys. Almost two hundred years later, in 1778, the year Pope Clement XVI abolished the order, and passed the monastery of the Carmelites. From the time of Napoleon - from the beginning of the 19th century until 1938, the year it housed the civil court. After the court was built a special building, in Santa Sofia started school. Today, after several years of neglect, the convent was restored and re-attracting tourists.

Next to the building of Santa Sophia, stands the Church of Santuario della Beata Vergine Addolorata, built by the priests-Jesuits who lived in the monastery in the late 16th century. The facade is decorated with stucco. In the 19th century was added to it a staircase, divided into two spans with a Central balustrade. Inside the Church you can admire a Central nave and two lateral chapels, a transept with a dome, throne and choirs. The interior is also decorated with interesting ornaments and decorations in majolica and marble. Today the Church building is used as conference room and exhibition hall.

Close to Santa Sofia, Piazza abate Conforti, according to historians, once situated the Roman forum, the former center of political, economic and religious life. Most of the buildings facing the square, dates from the Middle ages is the monastery of Santa Maria Maddalena, the aforementioned Santa Sofia and the Church of Santuario della Beata Vergine Addolorata, a State Archive, etc. And later along the streets of via tasso had built many houses in which lived the local aristocracy.