/ / The Benedictine Abbey of trinità della cava: photos, description of La Trinita della Cava)

The Benedictine Abbey of trinità della cava: photos, description of La Trinita della Cava)

Trinita della cava, better known as Baia di cava, is a Benedictine Abbey located near the town of cava de ' Tirreni in the province of Salerno in the Italian region of Campania. It is in the gorge at Firestrike hills.

The Abbey was founded in 1011-year-aristocrat of Salerno Alferio Pappacabana, who became a monk of Cluny and in the same year he lived as a hermit. Pope urban II gave to the Abbey many privileges, including jurisdiction over the surrounding areas. The first four of the prior trinità della cava was even canonized in the status of the saints in 1893 year, by decree of Pope Leo XIII.

In 1394, the year Pope Boniface IX gave the Abbey the status of a diocese and his pastors began to serve as bishops. However, in 1513, the year the cava was removed from the jurisdiction of the Trinita della cava, and around the same time the monks of Cluny was occupied by the Benedictine monks.

During the reign of Napoleon in Italy, the Abbey, like many other religious institutions had been closed, however, thanks to Abbot Carlo Mazzacane, monastic commune remained intact, and the Abbey itself after the fall of the French Emperor was restored. And today novices trinità della cava become parish priests of the surrounding towns and villages.

The Church of the Abbey and most of the other buildings were entirely modernized in 1796-m year, but the ancient Gothic cloister has been preserved in its original form. Of the attractions of the religious complex is called on several ancient sarcophagi, the tombs of Queen Sibylla of Burgundy, who died in 1150, the year, and a number of graves of prominent clergy. In addition, the Abbey kept an extensive collection of public and private documents, the oldest of which date back to the 8th century, including the oldest set of laws of the Lombards in the 11th century or the so-called Bible of La cava, 9th century.