/ / The library and Pinacoteca, Zelantea: photos, description (Biblioteca e Pinacoteca Zelantea)

The library and Pinacoteca, Zelantea: photos, description (Biblioteca e Pinacoteca Zelantea)

The library and Pinacoteca, Zelantea draws attention has its name similar to the name of a mythical Muse. So, Zelantea - called extensive library and art gallery in Acireale, one of the cultural attractions of the city. The monumental building in which they reside, is located on the street via Sangiuliano. It was built in the 19th century by the engineer Mariano Panebianco, one of the greatest minds of his age in the history of Sicily.

However, the history of the library goes back even further Dating back to 1716-th year. Today it is considered one of the richest libraries in the South of Italy - it contains more than 250 thousand volumes of books, and numerous manuscripts, brochures, journals and documents.

The beginning of the art gallery, in turn, was laid in 1851, the year. The initiator of its creation was Paolo Leonardo of Pennisi transferred the gift of the Academy of arts his collection of paintings, sketches and sculptures. Later the example of Pennisi was followed by Paolo Leonardo II, who also donated a number of works of art. It was the beginning of a tradition which is faithfully observed all the artists Acireale, to transfer part of its work to the gallery for the benefit of society. Gathered here today are many works that have unquestionable historical and artistic value Dating from the second half of the 16th century - first half of the 20th century. Among the presented artists can highlight, Giacinto, Platania, who is considered the father of the local painting school, Matteo Ragonese, Pietro Paolo Vasta, Emanuele Grasso, Sarah Spina and others. There is also the work of internationally recognized artists - dürer, Morelli, van Dyck.

Also noteworthy section of the sculpture, especially the composition depicting a cowgirl ACI and him in love with the nymph Galatea - heroes of the myth about the Foundation of Acireale. This song was made in 1846, the year for the exhibition in Palermo.