/ / Great synagogue of Florence: photo description (Tempio maggiore israelitico di Firenze)

Great synagogue of Florence: photo description (Tempio maggiore israelitico di Firenze)

Great synagogue of Florence or Tempio Maggiore is one of the largest synagogues in southern and Central Europe. At the time, she was one of the most important religious centers of the Jewish community residing in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in the mid-19th century.

In 1848, the year the Jewish community of Florence are thinking about building a new synagogue (the first was built in the city in the 13th century), but the process moved only after 1870, the year when the community head David levy bequeathed all his property for the construction of the temple. The construction of the synagogue was carried out from 1874 to 1882, the first years by the architects Mariano Falcini, Vincente Micheli, and Marco Treves as. The project involved the unification of the Italian architectural tradition with Moorish decorations - then this style was considered appropriate for synagogue, because he never was used in the construction of Christian churches.

During the Second world war, the Nazis occupied the building and used it as a warehouse, and in 1944-m to year by the retreating German troops together with the Italian fascists laid inside the bomb to destroy the synagogue. However, the fighters of the Italian resistance managed to defuse almost all the bombs and the building suffered relatively minor damage. After the war, the synagogue was restored. Another restoration took place after the devastating flood of 1966. Today the Great synagogue is one of the attractions of Florence, it is open for visits every day except Saturday.

In the lining of the synagogue alternating travertine (a type of limestone) and granite, which creates the effect of banding. In old photographs you can see that the stripes were bright red and beige, but the brightness has faded over time, leaving some restraint in the colors. Inside the synagogue is built in the shape of a quadrangle with a Central dome on pendentives, which resembles the Cathedral of ay Sophia in Istanbul and the Arab mosque. Corner towers topped by arched pinnacles, which in turn is crowned with a dome-intact in the Moorish style. Three arches in the shape of a horseshoe formed main entrance. Once the copper roof has oxidized and has acquired a green hue, standing out against the other buildings of Florence. The synagogue's interior is decorated with decorations in the Moorish style, and the mosaics and frescoes are by Giovanni Panti.