/ / Botanical Gardens of Bologna: photo description (Giardini Botanici)

Botanical Gardens of Bologna: photo description (Giardini Botanici)

Botanical Gardens of Bologna, founded in 1568 by Ulisse Aldrovandi, Ulysses, is considered one of the oldest in Italy and Europe. The total area of 2 hectares grows more than 5 thousand copies of exotic and native plants, including ferns, orchids, bromeliads and succulents that occupy three separate greenhouses. One of the sections of the garden devoted to medicinal and ornamental plants. And yet there is an artificially created forest!

By the end of the 16th century, Bologna University was the main place in Italy, where he studied botany. And, as mentioned above, in 1568 Ulysses, Ulisse Aldrovandi founded the first Botanical society under the auspices of the University. Around the same time was created the Botanical gardens of Pisa, Padua and Florence.

The first Botanical garden of Bologna was placed on the patio next to the library "Hall of the Borsa on the Piazza Maggiore right in the center of the city. In 1587 he moved closer to the gates of the Basilica Santo Stefano, and by 1595 in the collection of the garden, there were 3 thousand plants. Over the next two centuries, the Botanical garden has several times changed its location until in 1803, took the old College building Ferrario, become the property of the University. Finding a permanent home meant that the exhibits remaining in the courtyard of the Hall of Borsa and near Santo Stefano was finally able to be United under one roof, so to speak. Was immediately built greenhouses and prepared sites for planting plants. Later in the building of the College was also arranged by the training center, where today anyone can find a variety of information about "green" Pets in the garden.

Unfortunately, a significant part of the collection of the Botanical garden was destroyed during the Second World war, when the garden was bombed. The most serious loss was the destruction of the greenhouses in which plants were grown since the days of Napoleon. One of its main exhibits was a unique Ginkgo Biloba tree, which is on the ground there related species.