/ / Botanical Gardens: photo description (L'orto Botanico di Palermo)

Botanical Gardens: photo description (L'orto Botanico di Palermo)

Palermo Botanical Garden, covering an area of 10 hectares, combines the functions directly, a Botanical garden research and education center of the University of Palermo. It is located in the city at a height of 10 meters above the sea level.

The first mention of the garden belong to 1779, when the Academy Royal of Sciences created the Department of Botanical and medicinal farms." For this purpose were allocated a modest plot of land, which was supposed to break a small Botanical garden for cultivation of medicinal plants with a view to their study and use in medicine. In 1786, the garden took on its present territory near piano di Sant'erasmo. In 1789 construction began on the main administrative buildings - the Gymnasium, the Tepidarium and Caldarium was built in the neoclassical style by the French architect Leon Dufourny, who also worked on the project the old part of the garden. The gymnasium, located at the main entrance was the main office of the Botanical garden, which housed a herbarium, library and principal's office. In the other two buildings contained plants from a warm and temperate climate zones.

The oldest part of the garden consists of a rectangular area divided into 4 squares, each of which plants are placed in accordance with the classification of Linnaeus. In the center of this zone is a small area.

Grand opening of the Botanical garden took place in 1795. After a year there was built a Aquarium - a large pool with various water plants, divided into 24 areas, and a greenhouse of Maria Carolina donated by the Austrian Queen, and was finally completed in 1823. Today the Botanical garden has several greenhouses where you can see the succulents, bananas, papaya, plants moist climates and ferns. In the experimental area of scientific research to grow tropical and subtropical plants. In addition, the garden has a herbarium, which occupies an area of 6 thousand square meters and holds about 250 thousand samples of plants, algae, lichens and fungi, and genetic Bank was created in 1993 to preserve the unique genetic material of the local flora.

In the mid-19th century from Australia brought a huge ficus macrophylla, which became a symbol of the Botanical garden of Palermo and its main attraction. Another highlight of the garden is a colony of the Indian ringed parrots that have escaped from enclosures located near Villa Giulia and settle in a subtropical garden area.