/ / Botanical garden: photos, description (Orto Botanico Dell'universita di Catania)

Botanical garden: photos, description (Orto Botanico Dell'universita di Catania)

Botanical garden administered by the University of Catania, stretches on an area of 16 thousand sq. m. the First attempt of creation of the Botanical garden was undertaken in 1847 - then for these purposes, purchased the plot of land on the outskirts of the city. However, a year later there was a revolution, and the plans I had for a while to forget. Returned to them only in 1858, the founder's garden was Francesco Roccaforte Tornabene, assembled a collection of succulents. And in 1862 were planted the first plant, acquired at the Botanical gardens in Sweden, France, Naples and Palermo. A few years later, the Botanical garden has increased so that in a special area to cultivate typical Sicilian types. Finally, in the early 20th century on the slopes of mount Etna division was created garden called Botanical garden "Nuova Guidonia", - it is grown mountain plants. During the Second World war the territory of the main Botanical garden was seriously damaged, and in 1958 it was demolished the old greenhouse, the Tepidarium. However, later, the greenhouse was rebuilt.

Today the Botanical garden of Catania is divided into two main sections: the so-called Ortus of Generalis area of 13 thousand square meters, where they grow mainly exotic plants, and Ortus Siculus area of 3 thousand square meters, which collected Sicilian types. Ortus of Generalis in turn divided into zones, which are framed by steps of lava: there are two small greenhouses for succulents (about 2 thousand species!), the tropical greenhouse, where you can see palm trees (about 50 species) and other exotic trees, and three of the round pond for growing aquatic plants. Ortus Siculus consists of a narrow rectangular flower beds planted with plants in accordance with the classification - here you can see the Sicilian fir, cabbage, telkwa Sicilian, etc. in addition, the attraction of the Botanical garden is its lovely administrative building, built in the neoclassical style.