/ / Botanical garden of Padova: photo description (Orto Botanico di Padova)

Botanical garden of Padova: photo description (Orto Botanico di Padova)

Botanical garden of Padova was founded in 1545, the year during the reign of the Venetian Republic. Today it is the world's oldest academic Botanical garden still existing in its original place. The garden, spread over an area of 22 thousand square meters, belongs to the University of Padua.

Initially, the main purpose of creating a Botanical garden has been growing medicinal herbs for the manufacture of various products, as well as student learning. To protect plants from late-night thieves who invaded here, despite the strict punitive measures, around the garden was built round the wall. Garden collection is constantly replenished with new exhibits from all over the world, especially those parts, which traded the Republic of Venice. Gradually Padua became a leader in the study and cultivation of many exotic species of plants, while the herbarium, library and laboratories of the University have grown exponentially. In 1997, the year the Botanical garden of Padua has been included in the list of world Heritage of UNESCO for his contribution to the development of botany, medicine, chemistry, ecology and pharmaceuticals.

The design of the Botanical garden was work of Andrea Moroni, the author of several city attractions, such as Basilica of Santa Giustina on the square Prato della Valle, City Hall, etc. a Significant contribution to the architecture of the garden was made by the Venetian Daniele Barbaro, who in his approach was based on the medieval theory of the fenced garden is a square within a circle divided into four parts.

By the end of the 16th century, the garden has worked with many fountains, which also contributed to the irrigation of plants. In 1704, the year gates were built with a huge acroterium red-stone - sculptural decoration on the pediment. In the first half of the 18th century walls along the outer perimeter were adorned with balustrades made of Istrian stone, on which were placed vases and portraits of important people. A century later, there were greenhouses and a Botanic theatre with portraits of famous botanists. One of the greenhouses have survived to the present day. Attraction of the garden are sundial - cubic, round and cylindrical.

Until 1984, the year the oldest tree in the garden was Vitex also known as chasteberry, is it dated to at least the mid-16th century. Today, the oldest instance is the so called "Goethe palm", planted in 1585, the year. Next to it you can see the gingko and Magnolia mid-18th century, the oldest specimens of its kind in Europe. There is also a sycamore of the end of the 17th century. Just today in the Botanical garden of Padua there are six thousand species of plants from around the world.