/ / Botanical garden of Perugia: photo description (Orto Botanico Dell'universita di Perugia)

Botanical garden of Perugia: photo description (Orto Botanico Dell'universita di Perugia)

Botanical garden of Perugia, spread over an area of 20 thousand square meters, is located in the district of Borgo XX June, and is administered by the University of Perugia. It was established in 1962 between via San Costanzo and via Romana, as a successor of another Botanical garden, founded in the mid 18th century and several times in its history, changing dislocation. The main aim of this institution is to support educational and research programs conducted by the University. To get to the Botanical garden is open daily in the morning.

The first Botanical garden, created in 1768, was located outside the city walls of Perugia on the mound between the gate of the Port San and Porta Pesa and consisted of a small plot of land on which was grown mainly medicinal plants. In 1810, the garden was moved closer to Olivetani Palazzo which today houses the University, and after the establishment of the Faculty of agricultural Sciences, he was again transferred, this time to the garden of the Benedictine monastery next to the Basilica San Pietro. There he was until the mid-20th century, when the increasing number of students demanded the creation of larger research facilities.

Today in the Botanical garden there are about 3 thousand of different plants, including aquatic species, fruit trees, succulents, tropical and subtropical species and plants that are used in everyday human life, such as thyme, Valerian, rhubarb, Hemlock, Foxglove, and others. In the arboretum you can see a typical for the Central Apennines trees - chestnuts, oaks, beeches, poplars, willow and mistletoe. In addition, here are broken Alpine garden and Japanese rock garden and built a greenhouse with an area of 700 sq. m.

By the way, the garden of the Benedictine monastery at the Basilica of San Pietro is also preserved - it's called the Medieval garden of Perugia. Once upon a time this place was located the Cathedral, and today you can see fragments that was there before the buildings and structures, including Etruscan-Roman road and the city gate Dating from the 13th century. To get this garden going through the first monastic cloister. Visitors will immediately be in sections having the shape of an egg and surrounded by water, symbolizing the four rivers of Eden and the amniotic fluid in which the source of life. Inside you can see the 12 signs of the zodiac, plants that have a relation to each of these signs, and two trees have important symbolic significance, the Tree of Life (Magnolia) and the Tree of Revelation (ficus). A little further is the so-called Lukus - the sacred forest. For the monks of the sacred forest was a place where they could be in solitude and reflect on life. Among the trees of the forest are allocated Lebanese cedar, Laurel, Linden and Ginkgo biloba, known as the "tree of eternal youth". From Lukus road leads to the last section of the Medieval garden consisting of flower beds with medicinal plants and a vegetable garden. And above the garden is the so-called Podium - tower ruins of the 16th century, with a breathtaking view of the valley of Umbria, Assisi, Monte Subasio and the Apennines.