/ / Broletto: photos, description (Broletto)

Broletto: photos, description (Broletto)

Broletto is an ancient Italian word, leading its origin is probably from the language of the Celts. Originally it meant "small greenhouse" or "sad", and then the word began to be called "a field surrounded by the wall." Another meaning of the word "broletto" - "the place where justice done". And it is this value explains why some buildings in Northern Italy are called Broletto - those are in Milan, Brescia, Pavia, Piacenza, Como, Monza, Reggio Emilia, Novara and other cities.

Broletto of Brescia is a complex of buildings, the Central element of which is a Palace with two courtyards, one wide and the second, slightly smaller dimensions and more modern. All together is the result of successive architectural transformations. The first mention of a kind of "administrative settlement" in this place refers to 1187-89-th years, when the rulers of the city built next to the old Cathedral of San Pietro a wooden castle with high stone tower - the Torre del Popolo, also known as Torre del Pegol. Between 1223 and 1227 the years, the building was rebuilt, this time of stone, somewhat increased in size and joined him, some other buildings such as the Torre was Poncarale, whose rustic Foundation and can be seen today in via Querini. In the Broletto was the residence of the Podesta - mayor and General Council - they occupied the South wing of the building, the facade of which faced the square. The square also came out and the original Loggia delle Grida, built in the 13th century. The huge Hall of the Council in accordance with the traditions was decorated with various frescoes, partially preserved in the attic. The West wing of the Broletto in subsequent years was supplemented by a Gothic portico with pointed arches and the North wall was closed.

Between 1295 and 1298 m over the years on the initiative of Berardo Maggi, Bishop of Brescia, for the expansion of the entire complex to the North up to the current street via the Museums have been elevated West wing of the Broletto and demolished the monastery of Santi Cosma e Damiano and the Church of Sant'agostino. The latter, however, in the 15th century was rebuilt with a Gothic facade. During the reign of the Visconti clan of Brescia Broletto has undergone another surgery, and if Pandolfo III Malatesta was erected a portico with a groin vault. In 1414, the year for the decoration of the chapel of San Giorgio at Brescia were invited Gentile da Fabriano - unfortunately, in the 17th century, his work was smeared, preserved only in fragments.

During the reign of the Venetian Republic in the 16th century Broletto was divided into a greater number of floors to create new spaces that could be used to resolve judicial issues. In those same years in the Eastern part of the building was built a large staircase. In 1626, the year of the podestà Andrea Da Lezze ordered to share a small Central square, Broletto into two parts and to construct the transverse portico with seven arches, rolling in the loggia. And in the beginning of the 19th century there was a spiral staircase in a neoclassical style - a creation of the architect Leopoldo Pollack. The last major reconstruction of the Broletto was the place in 1902, the year when he was thoroughly restored Loggia delle Grida, demolished in the mid 19th century as a symbol of state oppression.