/ / Valcalepio: photos, description (Valcalepio)

Valcalepio: photos, description (Valcalepio)

Valcalepio is a valley with rolling foothills, lying between the rivers Kerio and'oglio in the province of Bergamo. From the point of view of landscape and cultural heritage it is of great interest to tourists. According to legend, the name of the valley - Calepio comes from two Greek words "Kalos" and "apies", which together mean "good earth." But this land is really good - she is fertile and temperate climate, which provides the proximity of lake Iseo. Both of these conditions are ideal for growing grapes and producing excellent wines that have made this, in General, a small valley famous throughout the world.

Interesting Valcalepio and from the point of view of archaeologists on its territory have made many significant findings, including evidence from several well-preserved ancient Roman settlements. This land was the scene of many battles, because it combines the interests of the border of the provinces of Bergamo and Brescia. A peace Treaty between them was signed only in 1192, the year. And later in the valley was the setting for the dramatic battle between Venice and Milan - here converge in the battles of the great captains Colleoni and Gattamelata.

Today, Valcalepio thrives thanks to the presence in the valley of several small businesses. For example, there is an unusual factory... buttons. And, of course, the valley is famous for its wineries, which produce wine of the DOC class, including the very valuable "Valcalepio Moscato Passito DOC" - a true symbol of Bergamo wine-making.

For detailed acquaintance with Valcalepio is to go on a walking or Cycling tour, which takes about 2 hours. The itinerary starts from Castel de ' Conti in the village of Kastelli, Calepio and goes along the road connecting Sarnico and Bergamo. In Castelli, Calepio in addition to the above lock should also visit the small Palace, Palazzetto, Caroling, the Church of San Lorenzo and a restored medieval village. Then, going towards lake Iseo, tourists visit Credaro, with its Romanesque Church of San Fermo and San Giorgio and the castles of the Montagues and Tribecca, and from there into the town of outside villongo. It deserves special attention the quarter of Sant Alessandro Church of the Holy Trinity, erected in the 18th century and is decorated with a statue of the Madonna, and the Romanesque Church of Sant Alessandro, painted with frescoes. The route passes through the village of Castione, in which the small Church of Santi Nazario and Rocco preserved precious frescoes of the 11th century.

The town of Sarnico is one of the most beautiful on lake Iseo, one of the most famous. It is an important commercial and tourist center, where traces of medieval urban planning - portals, arches, narrow streets, ancient towers and the Church of San Paolo in the 15th century. The parish Church of Sarnico, dedicated to St. Martin of Tours, was built in the 18th century. Here you can admire two beautiful villas Faccanoni built between 1906 and 1912 years.

Returning along the shore of lake Iseo in the outside villongo, the route follows on to the beautiful village of Posio with her dam, old houses and a windmill of the 17th century. Then tourists go to the town Adrara San Martino - it is notable for traces of prehistoric and Roman settlements, medieval castle and parish Church of San Martino and the 15th century. The route passes through the village Foresto, Sparco, the town Gandossi and picturesque hilly area covered with vineyards, and finishes in Grumello del Monte is a small historic village with a typical medieval layout, which is known for its ancient castle-fortress of Gonzaga. Also worth a visit are San Pantaleone, with its ancient stone dwellings, Church of the Madonna del Rosario and Villa Pecori Giraldi Mioni d Intimiano.