/ / Venetian walls: photos, description (Mura venete di Bergamo)

Venetian walls: photos, description (Mura venete di Bergamo)

The Venetian walls surrounding the perimeter of the Upper Bergamo, existed in Roman times and was rebuilt in the Middle ages and then again a few times. Traces of the original Roman structure still can be seen in the streets of via Vagina under the monastery of Santa Grata and left of the side street of Viale delle Mura (to the West of the funicular).

By the beginning of the 16th century city walls came in a state of utter decay. It was then, in 1556, the year, the Senate of the Venetian Republic, which for more than a century of rule in Bergamo, I decided to completely rebuild this part of the city fortifications. From a political point of view, the Venetians it was necessary to strengthen the border of their mainland possessions, the Western extremity of which was Bergamo - after all nearby there was a garrison of the Spanish Empire. However, bogged down in the war with the Turks on the opposite front, the Venetians decided not to move further into Lombardy. Thus, the initial scoring of the project for partial reconstruction and updating of the medieval walls, within which were built the Fort of St. Mark and five new bastions, the Venetians decided to build a fortified building of continuous ramparts.

In order to build a strong fortified wall, had to carry more than 250 buildings, and some part of Upper Bergamo forever changed its appearance. It was necessary to reduce construction costs, reduce construction time, and also due to the lack of other, more suitable alternatives. It is known that had to be demolished early Christian St Alexander Cathedral, the Church of San Lorenzo, San Pietro, Santo Stefano, with the homonymous monastery and several sewage systems of Ancient Rome.

In 1574, the year in Bergamo there were 445 homes - about half what it was prior to the construction of walls that are already in 1588, the year concluded the city in a stone embrace. These walls, which today are one of the largest fortified structures, built by the Venetians on the mainland was never used for military purposes. At the beginning of the 20th century, they were demilitarized, and around them was built the Avenue, planted with horse chestnut and plane trees. In 1976, the year the ancient walls, partly administered by the municipality of Bergamo, which is partially owned by the state, was fully cleaned and restored. Today in advance you can explore the underground crypts and the loopholes on the walls.