/ / The Venetian ghetto: photo description (Ghetto di Venezia)

The Venetian ghetto: photo description (Ghetto di Venezia)

Venetian ghetto - a historic quarter of Venice located in the Cannaregio district. The first Jews appeared in the city in the 12th century, then they selis mainly on the island of Giudecca. However, in 1516, the year the Venetian Council of Ten at the request of the Pope moved all the Jews in the Cannaregio district, called the Ghetto Nuovo, the "new foundry". It is from here came the name of the ghetto, which today is used worldwide to refer to the Jewish enclaves.

The Venetian ghetto was connected with the rest of the city by three bridges, which were closed for the night gate. First time to leave the ghetto night only had the right doctors, and later this right was given to all, provided that everyone coming had to wear a special hat and insignia yellow. Interestingly, all the synagogues in the ghetto was built by the architects-Christians, because the Jews themselves were forbidden to engage in the arts and some crafts.

Over time, the number of Jews in Venice grew up in the ghetto had to build houses with a height up to 8 floors to accommodate all residents. In 1541, the year appeared the Ghetto Vecchio (Old ghetto, and a century later, the Ghetto Novissimo - New. Even then in Venice there were over 5 million Jews and 5 synagogues of different denominations. Only in 1797, the year on the orders of Napoleon the gates of the Ghetto was liquidated. Finally they were torn down only in 1866-the year.

Today on the territory of the Venetian ghetto can be seen a stone slab, on which is written that the baptized Jew, secretly observing Jewish rites, will be severely punished. Here is a monument to the victims of the Holocaust, created by the sculptor Arbita of Blatas. Tourists can visit the Museum of Jewish art, two synagogues and the Jewish library Renato Maestro and dine in a kosher restaurant.