/ / Verbania: photo description (Verbania)

Verbania: photo description (Verbania)

Verbania is a town located on the banks of Lago Maggiore in 90 km North-West of Milan and 40 km from the Swiss Locarno. The city lies directly opposite another famous resort of Stresa, on the other side of the lake. The distance between them in a straight line is only 3.7 km away.

Verbania was created in 1939 year, the merger of the towns of Intra, Pallanza and Suna. From 1992 it is the capital of the province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola.

The main attraction is lake Como luxury Villa Taranto with no less beautiful Botanical garden. The garden is spread over an area of 16 hectares on the Western shore of Lago Maggiore in the district Pallanza. It was founded in 1931-1940 directed th years Scotsman Neil Makihara, who bought a Villa here and the neighboring estates, cut down more than two thousand trees and undertook an extensive refurbishment of the local landscape. To the public Botanical garden was opened in 1952 year, and after the death Maceachern in 1964-m to year it became the property of the nonprofit organization. Today you can see over 20 thousand different plants are planted along walking trails (7 km), Among the instances of the Botanical garden - colorful azaleas, the Amazonian Victoria, nearly 300 types of dahlias etc in the garden there is a small herbarium and the mausoleum of the Nile Maceachern. Villa Taranto is closed to the public - it is owned by the government.

Among the other attractions of Verbania is worth noting the Romanesque chapel of San Remigio, built in 11-12th centuries and in 1908, the year declared a national monument, the Church of Madonna di Campagna 16th century, also a national monument, the Basilica of San Vittore, dedicated to the patron Saint of the city, the Church of San Leonardo with a 65-meter bell tower and other religious buildings. Dugnani in the Palazzo of the 16th century, today houses the city Museum of history and art.

Visit also the medieval village of Uncia, administratively part of Verbania. It lies at the foot of a hill from which a marvelous view over the Lago Maggiore and mount Monterosso. Once the hill was occupied by pastures, and today he is almost entirely covered with forests - there are chestnut, lime, birch and pine. On top of the hill there is a small chapel of the Madonna delle Croce, Dating from the early 19th century, and around it, on the stones, visible in many rock carvings, the purpose and meaning of which still cause controversy among scientists.

In Pallanza, Verbania elegant district that was originally an independent settlement, there are several monuments of history and architecture. For example, in the Church of Santo Stefano kept Roman marble oblations, dated to the 1st century ad Center Pallanza lined the ancient streets and squares with elegant buildings decorated with impressive portals, arcades and columns. And the waterfront Pallanza is considered one of the most beautiful on Lago Maggiore. In the area you should definitely see the town Hall of the 19th century with a portico of 32 columns of pink granite, the Villa Giulia, built in 1847, the year and the Palazzo Biumi-Innocenti.