/ / Vermiglio: photo description (Vermiglio)

Vermiglio: photo description (Vermiglio)

Vermiglio is a town located at the very end of the Italian Val di sole on the slopes of Monte BOAI. The main source of income is forestry and animal husbandry, is also quite common craft and the production of clay pots. Plays a role in the economy of the town and summer and winter tourism, as Del is part of the ski resort Passo Tonale. And in recent years, Del has become the Italian capital of ski racing - are held many national and international competitions in this sport.

Vermiglio consists of three districts - Pizzano, Cortina and Praiano, and its name comes from the ancient toponym of Armello. Geographical location of the town has affected its history. Here were the army, moved the goods and was a vantage point that controlled the road to Tonale. Here gathered the taxes from the entire region - built in the 16th century, the house still stands today. From the time of Napoleon until the mid-20th century in Vermiglio and the surrounding area have fought a bloody battle. During the First World war the town was bombed and raided and was almost completely burned, so that in 1918, the year had to be rebuilt. And after the Second World war ski boom of tourism, and Vermiglio was flourishing.

One of the main attractions is the local Fort Strino, standing on the road between Vermiglio and Passo Tonale. He was one of the most important fortifications built in the reign of the Habsburgs between 1860 and 1912, the years to control the transition. In 1906, the year the Fort was strengthened and expanded in the 1990-ies there were carried out restoration work. Today, the Fort Strino converted into exhibition complex dedicated to the First World war - in it you can see photos, documents and various artifacts of the period.

In addition, in Vermiglio there are a number of monuments of architecture and culture, including the Church with ancient frescos and a crucifixion. Parish Church of San Stefano in Praiano first mentioned in 1215, the year. Several times it was rebuilt and today has one Central nave, two side chapels and five altars, dated 1638, the year. In the 19th century, the Church facade was rebuilt in neoclassical style. Wonderful carved gilded niche of the 17th century decorates the main altar. Also noteworthy is the marble altar created by the Veronese sculptor Marchesini in 1666, the year. The Church of San Pietro in Cortina attracts the attention of frescoes Baschenis walls and apse of the Church in Pizzano in the 20th century were painted Mattielli. Finally, the Church of Santa Caterina is a superb example of Alpine religious architecture, decorated with frescoes of the 16th century altarpiece and a great way Francesco Marchetti.