/ / Via Margutta: a photo, a description (Via Margutta)

Via Margutta: a photo, a description (Via Margutta)

Via Margutta is a narrow street in the centre of Rome near Piazza del Popolo. You can get here from the street is via del Babuino in the quarter, also known as the "neighborhood of aliens". Also located near the Pincio hill. Once this street was home to modest craftsmen, workshops and stables, but today there are numerous art galleries and trendy restaurants. Became popular after the film Roman holiday, via Margutta quickly became an elite district, where they lived celebrities such as the great Federico Fellini.

Probably the name of the street comes from the word "marahute" - so called dirty stream of water flowing from the Pincio hill, where once was located the part of the ancient sewer system of Rome (Cloaca). In addition, the via Margutta was behind the palaces of via del Babuino, in each of which at one time were used as warehouses and stables. At the foot of the Pincio hill there were houses and shops of masons, marble cutters and coachmen, which immediately worked. In the Middle ages an unknown artist opened the first workshop in which he painted portraits, cut marble for fountains and forged metal products. Gradually they began to flock to artists from other regions of Italy but also from Germany and Flanders, workshops and craft shops which had replaced the shacks and stables. During the reign of Pope Pius IX (1846-1878), was a Belgian nobleman Saverio de merode bought the surrounding land, built a drainage system and made of via Margutta a full-fledged part of Rome.

Today, via Margutta is a charming, quiet street that retained the leisurely atmosphere of the past centuries. Today it is inhabited by artists, sculptors, antique dealers and representatives of other creative professions. So, in different years on this street lived Giulietta Masina, Federico Fellini, Renato Gattuso, Marina, Punturieri.

Every year there is a festival of "one Hundred painters of via Margutta", is especially beloved by the townsfolk. The festival exhibited over 1,000 paintings and regularly "opened" a new star in the art world.